How much does it cost to adopt a child?

I would like to adopt a child some day down the road and was just wondering what the costs were. Hubby spent time in the foster care system when he was a teen and he wants to be able to prevent a child from going through that. I know it is a lot which would mean hubby and I would have to save. We are financially sound so please no bashing or anything.

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 4:08 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Adoption

• I'd call the state adoption agency and ask. I'm sure each state is different and private adoptions might be more than using a state agency.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:10 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I've heard the "cheapest" way is to foster the child first and then if things are working out, adopt that child. Adopting in the US is more affordable but also may take longer, depending on if you want a certain age range and there's more of a chance that the parents will decide to keep the child. NOT always the case and who knows, maybe it doesn't happen too often. But it happens more than international adoption. International adoption is more pricey and takes less time (most of the time). But again, depends on where you adopt from. But internationally, it can range between $20-$30K or so.

Sorry, I know that's all over the place for info. But call your state adoption agency and they can give you more info about all of it. :) One good thing is that no matter how much you pay, a lot of it is given back to you for tax returns.

**cont.**
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 4:37 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was adopted at the age of 3 and have always known that one day, I'd love to adopt. Glad to hear your financially sound and hope that when the day comes, we will be too. You would think that they would make it more "affordable" for many to adopt since every child should have the opportunity to be a part of a loving family and stable home. GL!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 4:38 PM on May. 21, 2010

• You can be a regular foster parent or get into the fost-adopt program (meaning kids will be placed with you that are likely going to be up for adoption or who already have their parental rights terminated, depending on your understanding with the social worker, this is still not a guarenteed adoption but neither are private adoptions) and those will cost you little to nothing. It seems like this would be most relevant to your husband's wish. You can have a private adoption and the costs with range depending on the agency and particular agreement you have with the natural mother- somewhere in the thousands. Or you could have an international adoption which will range in the tens of thousands, but vary depending on country.
    Anonymous

• I had one child I fostered and was fortunate enough to adopt and one child I straight adopted (no possibility of the bio parents or family getting him). Everything was free, background checks, homestudies, adoption, everything. Only thing we bought was gas for the cars to drive and everything needed to get our house child proofed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on May. 22, 2010

• You do not have to foster before adopting. There are many children in the foster care system that are available for adoption. Fees vary per state but they are relatively small. All I had to pay for was new birth certificates. My daughters have a subsidy & medicaid until they are 18.

www.adoptuskids.org

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:02 PM on May. 23, 2010

• We also adopted through the fostering program. We wanted to help kids, but also wanted the option of adoption as well. We had several newborns throughout our time fostering and then we finally managed to adopt one newborn. It's not easy, but it's the most cost effective way to adopt.

There is NO guarantee when it comes to any adoption, whether domestic private, international, or through the state. The best way is to research all options, list the pros and cons of each type of adoption, and see which fits more into your lifestyle.

Good luck to you! Personally I hope you adopt through foster care! We need more good people with loving hearts to help out!
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 12:23 PM on May. 26, 2010

• when i was a little girl and i ask my adopted mother how much i cost she tried to be funny and said i cost more than a brand new care. but later i found out that it varies from state to state and age to age, mine and my best friends adoption was in the same year hers cost more than mine did i was almost 2 she was was 3 month. in my sister in laws kids was about 4 years ago and she adopted 3 kids ages 7, 6 and 5 and she payed about as much as what my adopted parents had paid about 16 year or so before. so just start looking in to it. and good luck
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 11:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2010