Did anyone waive/refuse eye ointment after their baby was born?

if so I am curious 1) did you have to sign a special form and 2) Were they supportive of your choice or pressure you

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:10 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I denied the eye drops for my son. I KNOW that I dont have any STD's ( one partner/ was screened early in pregnancy for EVERYTHING) so I saw no need for them. They can cause many problems such as clogged tear ducts, redness and irritation, and can interfere w infant/mother bonding. I had to sign a waiver form.

Also they are not required by law.. You have the right to refuse any medical procedure.
    MrsRudd

Answer by MrsRudd at 12:04 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I did. I had an Out of Hospital Birth. I signed the waiver (I think) before she was even born. No shots either. Midwife was supportive-ish.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:38 PM on May. 21, 2010

• What is eye ointment? i refused the HepB shot and was actually treated extremely well because of it. Had a few nurses tell me (off record of course) that i made a smart decision.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:42 PM on May. 21, 2010

• We opted for the erythromycin over the silver nitrate, because one or the other is required by law (undiagnosed syphyllis in moms causes blindness in babies), and the former doesn't sting their eyes.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:19 AM on May. 22, 2010

• To my knowledge, they didn't put any eye ointment on my DD. I wouldn't have refused it though. Also, they made me sign a hep B consent form about 15 min post op. I had no clue what I was signing, and I was FURIOUS when I found out they gave it to her.
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 11:20 AM on May. 22, 2010

• When my kids were born (in hospitals but we declined the eye ointment) it was fascinating how the nurses, a few doctors, and admin type people (and 1 physicians secretary too!) came to my room in droves just out of curiosity desiring to be informed and educated on the subject. I kept it simple for them. Back in the day an enormous percentage of Momma's (upwards of 85% after some wars) had various forms of the clap, VD, etc etc so the Red Cross came up w/ a quick fix of eye ointment on babies and now it's just a tradition nobody really knows or cares about the roots of. Especially since the vast majority of preggo Moms in the US are STD tested during pregnancy (I forget which trimester) it's completely ridiculous and actually hinders bonding, breastfeeding, etc etc etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:24 PM on May. 22, 2010

• We skipped the eye ointment and the HebB. We got the Vit K, but only because we had a boy and wanted to get him circumcised. If we have a girl we will forego the Vit K as well.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:14 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I refused Hep B, eye ointment vit k shot. :) I don't remember if I signed a form or not...and the nurse I first told it to was kind of irritated and asked me why. Annoyed me.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:33 PM on May. 31, 2010