Rice cereal?

My dd is 11 weeks old. She is ebf- for the last 3 weeks she has been demanding to eat every hour. This is a very long growth spurt... I am considering trying to offer very diluted rice cereal to try to satiate her for longer periods of time. She is able to hold her head up very well and already weighs almost 15 lbs. I have called lactation consultants, pediatritians and have tried to go for 2 or more hours between feedings (this last one didn't go so well...)
Any input or personal experience with starting rice cereal at a relatively young age is appreciated. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• See my answer to the other rice cereal question :) Too early; nurse on demand is the best thing to do.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:53 PM on May. 21, 2010

• At that age, I was giving both my boys the oatmeal cereal, with formula or breastmilk mixed in (and yes, the pediatrician ok'd it). The rice can give them constipation so if you do try it, watch out for that. Some people say it's too early and others don't. Trust your judgement for your child and when in doubt, ask the pedi. :)

my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 4:56 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Before 4 months is too early for rice cereal. Keep feeding on demand. BF babies eat often. My first cluster fed ever 45 min for about a 4 to 5 feeding stretch a day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:16 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My Ped ok'd rice cereal for my daughter at a little over 2 months too. The WIC lady informed me I was going o cause my dd's death. I was in hysterics ( I was a young mom, this was 10 yrs ago). I called her pediatrician he told me to tell the WIC people what they wanted to hear :) There is NO one size fit all answer for this. Some babies really DO need more food! That dd was born 6 weeks early and astonished the NICU nurses with how much she wanted to eat! Talk to your pediatrician. If he Ok's it dont listen to anyone on here (or at WIC ;) and do what YOUR baby needs!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:46 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I personally would not. If anything, offer the oatmeal, but all of it is pretty vile. I waited until my kids could eat regular oatmeal. I know that you are tired, and probably really tired of nursing for such a stretch, but it won't last forever. And the cereal may really not help the situation. It just might be hunger and comfort nursing. And it may make her constipated, which can be a whole other issue.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:03 PM on May. 21, 2010

• WAY too early and NEVER a good idea to put in the bottle.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:48 PM on May. 21, 2010

• It's an alluring idea, isn't it, that if you could 'fill a child up' at the beginning of the week, you could get on with doing the genuinely important things in life, none of which involve nurturing a child, obviously.

Babies, like everyone else, need to eat periodically. Every hour is not an indication of a growth spurt in a small baby, it's an indication of normal health. It is ordinary for babies to eat between 8 and 50 times in a 24 hour period, and as long as they have unrestricted access to the breast, and get to end feeds themselves (not when someone else decides they're done), the frequency is irrelevant.

Swapping nutrient-dense, live immunity-supplying food that is ideal for your baby right now with what is essentially calorie-free spackle is... not a healthy choice. She is far too young to eat anything but human breastmilk, or something that is trying very hard to emulate it. 'Filler' isn't food.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:36 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about). Cereal can interfere with sleep patterns, and create medical issues later in life.

Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 AM on May. 22, 2010