Any ideas of how to get a 3 year old to quit "hating" her room?

She refuses to like it, says that "she cant like it" and "she hates it" and now shes refusing to sleep there. Sleeps anywhere but her room, slept on the living room floor last night, need help!

BobbieJean03

Asked by BobbieJean03 at 5:20 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• did something bad or scary happen in her room. I think its weird that she would sleep in the living room. I could see if a child was just crying and wanting to sleep with a parent..but this seems strange. Have you tried a night light or a bedtime animal or pillow..my trick would be to say its only for bed time and it belongs in your room. how about glow in the dark stars on her ceiling?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:24 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Try letting her go to the store to pick out a few items to decorate it with. All a dollar sometimes has wall stickers. : )

Try letting her help you re-arrange it. Ask for her to pick where she wants her bed, what looks like a good spot to you?

Try doing a 30 min. playtime with her in her room from time to time, and tell her how much you like her room. Ask her about items in her room.

~~~

One thing that helped my son like his room again was when we moved to a dif. house, the prev. house his bedroom was upstairs, so was ours, but he went to bed before us and didn't like being up there alone. Now we're on the same floor. as the living room. : )

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:24 PM on May. 21, 2010

• even a movie might help her to fall asleep or music
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:25 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't know if you have an IKEA by you, but it has some amazing kids wall lamps. For my daughter there's a glowing flower that has a green cord. You hang it on the wall and the cord looks like a stem. : ) My kids love those on when they sleep.

I don't think it's weird that she wants to sleep in your front room. I'm not aware of the layout of your house.

Sometimes with 3 year olds they like to be the boss. So it's possible she wont is being stubborn I don't like my room... Sleeping on the couch could be her way of making choices. That's why I say really involve her in the choices for her room. What goes in what stays out. Where things go, and if you do this she'll probably feel very proud of it, admire it, and may take her a day or so to sleep in it. It's worth a shot though.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:29 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Redoing my DDs room helped.We painted it and got her new bedding.She loves it and hardly ever comes out lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:30 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Where does a 3 yr. old learn to hate? They have only been on this earth for 36 months & 12 of them in a crib
    with baby thoughts. I think she is playing games with you. Maybe she doesn't want to sleep in her bed. If you don't mind her sleeping all over the house,let her be OR you could buy her a special toy & put it in her bed & tell her it's her night time toy & she can only play with it in her bed. I suggest a doll or soft toy,something suitable for sleeping. When my daughter was 3 she wouldn\t sleep at all. She stayed up all night rocking in her chair & catnapped during the day. Eventually she decided to sleep at night& I never knew why. Be glad your sweet girl sleeps,she's a blessing!!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 6:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Right before my son turned 3, he decided his room was too dark, and he was having tons of nightmares. We got him a night light, which helped. We also painted his room, put him in a double bed with new bedding and new bed toys.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:06 PM on May. 21, 2010

• 3yos are often inarticulate, immature and easily confused. She's expressing something that she doesn't understand, using the words she's familiar with. She has strong negative feelings about her new room --is it a move to an unfamiliar home? A set of scary or unfamiliar shadows? Did she have nightmares start there? Did she overhear an argument or a scary movie? Can she hear more (or less) of you at night than she's used to?

A lot of people are under the impression that darker, quieter rooms are easier to sleep in, but what is easier to sleep in is a feeling of safety, familiarity and security. Anything that undermines her sense of security will make it unpleasant to be in that room alone in the dark, and almost impossible for her to fall asleep in.

Could you accompany her in there as she's transitioning into sleep? Could you put in a monitor so she can still hear you the way she used to? A light to dispel the shadows?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:16 AM on May. 22, 2010

• This might sound crazy but we have an Arthor dvd that has like 3 episodes, she started watching one that was about going from a crib to a big girl bed. They roamed around at night. The beginning saying their was no way she could like a big girl bed. The same night Kenzie started walking around the house, like on the show, because she could. This about the same time as when she decided she didnt like her room, maybe this is the same thing? I dont know. As far as I know nothing bad or scary happened in her room that would affect her this way. We moved here about 6 months ago and she hasnt had the problem until just the last week or so. She shares a room with her baby sister who has recently started sleeping in there (finially) so i dont know if thats the problem, but shes always shared a room. As for bedtime bears we cant go anywhere without Ellie the Elephant and Baby. They have a night light and projector in there too.
    BobbieJean03

Answer by BobbieJean03 at 5:40 AM on May. 22, 2010