Teenager trying to summit Mt. Everest

13 year old Jordan Romero is trying to become the youngest person ever to climb the world's tallest mountain. He and his climbing team are making their push as I write this.

You can follow his efforts on his website, jordanromero.com, and on this GIS map: http://edn1.esri.com/everest/Default.html

The map shows their current position.

I've been following this partly because Jordan is from my news coverage area, and because I have a Walter Mitty-ish fascination with climbing Everest. Just thought I'd share.

Asked by gdiamante at 5:26 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am SO not trying to hijack your Q Gd...but do you think you could let your child do this? I would be petrified! Like the teens that keep trying to sail around the world by them selves....I keep thinking WHAT are their parents THINKING!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:40 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I saw an interview of this boy and hois father. The boy was quite articulate and presented as much "older" than your typical 13 year old. My daughter just told me that she saw a report about the Boy on BBC-evidently he's been hiking for a long time, and has summited many Mtns.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:47 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Oh, as a parent I'm terrified! Hell, *I* wouldn't do such a climb...I just like the pictures.

But He's already up there so I think positive energy is a good thing right now.

The GIS puts him almost at Step 2 now; if his route tracker is correct, that puts him around 4-5 hours from the summit.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:48 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I am glad the boy has confidence in his abilities. However, I think it is a bit irresponsible to allow a child this young to attempt such a thing. jmo.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:13 PM on May. 21, 2010

• 377 vertical feet to go at this point.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:31 PM on May. 21, 2010

• U.S. boy, 13, becomes youngest person to conquer Everest, posted an hour ago
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:13 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I'm so torn on this.... As a fellow climber and somebody with Everest goals myself, I think its amazing that he completed such an amazing feat at his age, heck its an accomplishment for anyone! However, as a mother, I can't help but disagree with this. I mean what 13 yr old actually aspires to do this at that age? His father summitted with him and all his other summits across the globe, I think his father pushed his ambitions on his son and it was reckless. At 13 yrs old his body is far from developed and who knows the harm that a growing childs brain can sustain by being in a sustained reduced O2 level.... It was life threatning and dangerous, people DIE on Everest every year. I couldn't willingly put my child in a situation like that.
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 7:06 PM on May. 22, 2010