There really wasn't much known about autism 20 or 30 yrs ago but....

My question is did any of you have relatives or family members that showed signs of autism and how are they today?

My sister did and she is diagnosed as bipolar. I remember when she was a child she would bang her head and bite and was a runner but this was just considered behaving badly

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• They have actually changed the definition of what autism is from 20 years ago. It's not that they know more about it. They have just included many more other diagnosis under the autism spectrum.

Anonymous

• I suspect I have Aspergers. My son has moderate autism. I've had a pretty normal life. I don't stand out TOO much! I have social issues and its impacted how I am percieved. I seem bitchy and short tempered,but most of it stems from my issues.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:48 PM on May. 21, 2010

• yeah, but kids today that are diagnosed are still only going to be diagnosed as "autistic" they will probably not later in life be slapped with "bipolar"
    Anonymous

• so is being bipolar part of the autistic spectrum?
    Anonymous

• Actually, no! Not on my side or my husbands side of our families, and yet BOTH of our children ended up being diagnosed with mild autism (neither spoke until after the age of 4). There also aren't any "eccentric" or "quirky" family members on either side--which includes siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. However, in MY situation we are lucky that our children have very high IQ's and while finishing up Kindergarten and 2nd grade, have already begun working on 2nd and 4th grade curriculum respectively!

It's important to realize that a "less than perfect" diagnosis in your child is NOT the end of the world. As frustrating as our days can be, we've succeeded in meeting MANY milestones (some I thought we would never meet), and I feel like I'm actually a more effective parent as the result of having to help my children overcome and manage their issues, and I wouldn't trade them for the world! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:53 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I DON'T THINK ANYONE IS QUITE UNDERSTANDING THE QUESTION. THE QUESTION IS:

IF YOU HAD ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY THAT SHOWED SIGNS OF AUTISM "WHEN YOU WERE A KID" HOW ARE THEY DOING TODAY AS AN ADULT? HAVE THEY BEEN DIANOSED WITH ANYTHING ELSE?

I know that they would'nt have been dianosed with autism that long ago thats why i say "showed signs" of Autism.
    Anonymous

• We have suspected that my youngest brother has some form of autism. He has never been evaluated or diagnosed, it just takes him longer to grasp social skills. When he was a kid he was very introverted, didn't like people very much, freaked out over the slightest change in environment, and took a very long time to grasp social skills while excelling in the intellectual areas. We lived in the middle of nowhere, so there were never any doctors to say, "you need to get this checked" and none of his teachers ever did. He is halfway through college now and is slowly becoming more socially adept. He is now able to hold a conversation with someone with a different viewpoint and see at least part of their side of the issue :) That's a big deal; he used to not even talk to you if you didn't agree with him 100%
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:01 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My son has autism. I highly suspect that my youngest brother has aspergers. He's extremely smart!!! but not as social as the rest of us. He has an awesome job, owns his house outright, has a super nice car, in his mid 30s, and is still single - I'm amazed he's not married or even seriously dating. Things are very black and white to him - no gray areas whatsoever and he's a very concrete/literal thinker. But it doesn't make a difference one way or the other, he's at least high functioning enough to lead a fulfilling happy life and that's all that matters!

Answer by missanc at 8:25 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I have a sister who is autistic, with mild retardation, my husband has Asperger's, and my son is autistic.
    Anonymous

• I don't know what my Aunt would be diagnosed with but she is a little "off". She has a lot of nervous social issues, like she clears her throat alot, blinks alot and is constantly moving her fingers. She's now in her 40's, lives on her own, holds down a regular job and has friends. She just has a problem with social boundaries and guidelines. I made fun of her as a kid but now I feel a little bit sorry for her and try to be friendly.
    Anonymous