who would pay the child support?

I have a question about something that I am curious about just because my stepson is 17 and I am sure that he is sexually active. If a minor under the age of 18 gets a girl pregnant, who would pay child support, the boy or his parents. Since he is a minor, could he be sent to jail for non-support?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• that is a good question, for which i don't have an answer lol... you could call the states cs center and find out.
    Anonymous

• The boy should be responsible, as he would be both the father and old enough to get a job to meet his obligation.
    Anonymous

• In most states the parents would be responsible until he is 18, I believe at that point it becomes his responsibility.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:26 PM on May. 21, 2010

• A parent doesn't have to pay the cs for a minor child. CS starts when the dad turns 18

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Hm. You, I guess since he's under your care and you're not getting him protectionm.
    Anonymous

• "A parent doesn't have to pay the cs for a minor child. CS starts when the dad turns 18 "

Not true a family friend has to pay the child support of their minor son's baby and it was based off of their income.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:13 PM on May. 22, 2010

• In the state I live in if a boy under 18 becaome a father then his parents (based on their income) gets to be the ones to pay child support until their son turns 18. I know this because a friend's 16yo son got his 15yo gf pregnant and until the son turned 18 his parents paid $600 a month in child support because both of his parents worked and they made really great money. My friend was so upset because it WAS a lot of money.
    Anonymous

• The father of the baby has to pay for child support,if the court makes you pay the support,its time for you to talk to your son, make him get a job and pay for his on mistake ,please parents you need to teach your children more responsiblity, knock,knock time to wake up !!
    cana337

Answer by cana337 at 11:11 PM on May. 22, 2010

• You will have to establish paternity, you are under the age of consent he may also be under the age of consent which means he and possibly both of you are in jeapardy of statutory rape -- a criminal offense. If he is unwilling to claim paternity then you may need a court order to compel DNA testing which isn't an automatic thing based on your say so he has rights and avenues to fight that starting with claiming he never had sex. You can use the statutory rape law as leverage to get him to admit paternity in order to avoid a rape investigation and criminal charges but in addition to just getting me to admit paternity at birth and sign a birth certificate you should also get him to voluntarily take a DNA test (if you are sure he's the father) so that he can't back out of responsibility later by claiming he was a minor when he admited paternity did it out of a false sense of love and didn't understand it creating a whole new set
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:29 PM on May. 24, 2010

• of legal issues later.Once his paternity to the child is legally established then he's legally responsible to provide finacial support for the child until the child reaches 18. However, the formula for child support varies from state to state but often the fact that he has little to no income now means he wont have to pay much child support and you will have to go back to court as the years progress to get the support increased as his income increases over the next 18 years. Some states allow for the parents of a minor to be obligated to pay child support on behalf the minor parent until he reaches 18 or possibly 21. Again, if his parents dont have much income it wont be much. If they do have income and are resonable responsible parents who wish to protect
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:31 PM on May. 24, 2010