my big fat lunchables posting

this is a follow up to someone asking me what is so wrong with an occasional lunchable..... grrrr....

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:08 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Id say look at the Ingredients. Is it real ham? turkey... Or Bi-products of ham/turkey..
    Can you pronounce most of the stuff? Do you know what all that stuff is? Is corn syrup (or any other name for sugar/corn) in the first 3-5 ingredients?

Its been a while since Ive had one.. But the last time I checked when tearing real ham/turkey it DOESNT look like that..
    (they take meat & mix it with bones, preservatives, corn syrup, other processed junk, squash it together & tell ya its good meat! Barf!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

• i still like lunchables!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:09 PM on May. 21, 2010

• While my kids napped I spent some time pouring over some nutrition websites, including kraft.com finding ALL THE LUNCHABLE varieties presently on the market. this is the healthiest one, seriously it includes water. doesn't get much healthier, right??

Calories: 370 (roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the American Heart Association's recommended intake for kids under 9)
    Sodium: 590 mg (roughly 1/2 the Institute of Medicine's recommended daily limit for kids under 9)
    Sugars: 32 g (For kids, the AHA recommends a 12 g daily limit.)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:10 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't get it. What was the original post?
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 6:11 PM on May. 21, 2010

• ok, soo..... this means that the rest of the ENTIRE DAY, including breakfast, your kid can only "safely" have like 730 more calories.....gonna be difficult.

And they've already had several days EXTRA SUGAR.... and 1/2 the days salt from only 1 meal. And it's a small meal.

So.... yup. There's something wrongly wrong wrong w/ these things being called an OK occasional lunch.

PS how many parents really buy this one? it's turkey and cheese sub. I think more likely they buy the pizza, nachos, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:13 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I let my kids have the jr one every so often and they are just ham or turkey
    Anonymous

• I always got the one with the crackers, lunch meat, and cheese. It's similar to a turkey sandwich i thought...
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:16 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Nutritionally, this popular "food" option is rather worthless. Sure, there are plenty of calories in a Lunchables package: the standard Luchables meal with a Capri Sun "juice" tallies a grand total of 750 calories (about 75 percent of a young child's daily recommended intake). This means that if you send your children to school with Lunchables you hardly need to feed them for the rest of the day. That's convenient. And if this isn't frightening enough, consider the fact that this standard Lunchables package provides 17 grams of fat (75 percent of the recommended daily intake of fat for a child) and about 56 grams of sugar, mostly refined. It also contains less than one gram of fiber.
    Anonymous

• You don't need to be a nutrition major to find this slightly disconcerting. Not only are Lunchables helping us raise a generation of obese and malnourished children (meaning they are getting too many calories with too few nutrients), but the packaged products are also encouraging a trend of "beige-itarianism" (where's my Wonderbread, mom?) Oh. By the way: isn't it wonderful that we now have 10 percent juice in our "juice?"
    Anonymous

• What are the ingredients? Nitrates, genetically modified grains, hormones and pesticides, high fructose corn syrup. Very scary, and never allowed in myhouse.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 AM on May. 22, 2010