omg...REALLY??!! Sooooo you are publicly stating that you will NOT do your JOB....and you still HAVE it??? ummmm...WHAT?

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities. John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.

The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.

Umm NO. It's your JOB. It's a FEDERAL law. If you cant DO it you should NOT have the JOB. WTH?? This is just getting crazy! If you think the law is wrong then get it REPEALED (if you can...but no one who supports that would be re elected) until then do your job! What say you???

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 6:16 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• " ... The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said,"

That comprehensive federal approach is ALREADY in PLACE ! It's just waiting - as OP says - for those whose JOB it is, to DO the JOB !!

We do not need any more legislation. It's all already there. Just because already-accomplished legislation is not glamorous, and won't give politicians the chance for more TV interviews, does not mean it doesn't EXIST !

Enforce it !

Oh, that's right ... enforcement is the job of the Executive branch ...
    (For those who learned their civics from Progressive teachers, that means it's the job of the President and his staff)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:00 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Refusal to do the job is grounds for termination.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:19 PM on May. 21, 2010

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:19 PM on May. 21, 2010

• And THIS is cRAZIER...so Illinios can crack down IT'S way...but NOT AZ ?? top Department of Homeland Securityofficial visiting Chicago on Wednesday said his agency intended to step up enforcement in places such as Illinois.John Morton, , said his agency intends to expand the Secure Communities initiative, which gives police and sheriff's departments access to a Homeland Security database that includes fingerprints. The initiative recently grew to include most of Chicago's suburbs.Morton, a former prosecutor, also said the agency intends to increase scrutiny of employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:23 PM on May. 21, 2010

• "Morton, a former prosecutor, also said the agency intends to increase scrutiny of employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants."

Dunno if that's crazier, really. If you want to stop illegal immigration, you have to stop the motive for it: JOBS. Most don't come here for welfare; if you dumped every illegal immigrant off California's welfare/benefits rolls, this state would STILL have a deficit in the billions of dollars.

They come because people are willing to hire them, damn the laws and full speed ahead to a better bottom line thanks to cheap illegal labor.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:27 PM on May. 21, 2010

• LOL...Sorry...I didn't make that point well. I do NOT have a problem with THAT. THAT is a GREAT idea! I just think it's crazy that he seems to think Illinois is allowed to make things the way THEY want them but that AZ should be dictated too. It just seems the utmost hypocrisy!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:29 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Yes, it is total hypocrisy. Just like the rest of the federal offices and jobs and appointees. Ridiculous. I am so furious about this, I can't even express myself coherently (which I'm sure SOME on here won't mind, LOL!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:07 PM on May. 21, 2010

• omg 29 I feel the SAME way! When I read the article I was OUTRAGED. You know a LOT of things this admin has done has irritated the heck out of me. Things that are being condoned and even SHOVED through by those in Washington and it's subsidiaries piss me off...but for THIS man in THIOS position to out and out SAY that he would NOT do his JOB is beyond comprehension!!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:12 PM on May. 21, 2010

• This is why Arizona did what they did!! They finally got tired of going "round and round" with D.C.!! I think he should be fired IMMEDIATELY!! What the Hell is he doing if he's not going to do his job?! Change you can believe in....NOT!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:21 PM on May. 21, 2010

• He still has his job because Obama agrees with what this moron thinks. I say that if the dude won't do his job, and the President won't do anything about it, and since this is a matter of national security, we have grounds to impeach him. However, since the dems and the moron AG seem to feel the same way, nothing at all will be done. It is just disgusting.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:32 PM on May. 21, 2010