Anyone's dog had surgery to fix a cherry eye?

If so, can you tell me how much it cost? I looked it up online and many people said it was around $600, but we were quoted $1200-1500. Trying to figure out if this is normal or a rip off. Thanks.

Chloesmama10

Asked by Chloesmama10 at 6:19 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Pets

• The only thing I can tell you I noticed one on my male golden twice in one year it freaked me out. I just washed my hands and got a paper towel soaked it with warm water and made my dog look towards me and squeezed a few drops of water into his eye (and said a little prayer) then next day he was doing better. or you can put a warm cloth on it's eye too after you give it a few drops of water. GL I pray your dog gets better and hoped I saved you a trip to the vet.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:32 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I work at a vet clinic and I think we charge around $300 of cherry eye surgery IF THAT. Look around, do you have a smaller town close to you that has a vet clinic?? I live in a small townd l and we are way cheaper the larger town that is an hour away, good luck.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 6:36 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Gosh, my dog had his fixed for only$150, and that was fixing his ear at the same time. I think you are getting taken advantage of there, shop around some, and good luck. It's amazing how cute their faces are after the surgery.
    purpleswiper253

Answer by purpleswiper253 at 9:35 PM on May. 21, 2010

• It depends on the surgery. They do removals, tucks, and partial removal and tuck. It seems the partial removal and tuck is the best option because it decreases the chance of the stitch ripping and the gland popping out again.

My dog had both eyes tucked with no partial removal almost a year ago and his did fine. Haven't had any trouble with it. Cost us about $500 to do both eyes.

What ever you do don't get the gland removed. Your doggie will end up with dry eye which will cause it's own problems with vision and further vet bills in the future.

Good luck to you and your doggie. :o)

Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 1:38 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Where are you located? I had our bulldog's done 2 years ago (both eyes plus one etropian) for under 500. Good vet too, not just the cheapest. So unless you live in New York City and your vet is giving them massages and a prada diamond collar, get quotes elsewhere.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 2:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2010