If you had your tubes tied as a separate procedure, how many days will I need help with my toddlers?

My hospital is Catholic and wouldn't allow me to get a tubaligation during my c-section. So now with DH stalling a vasectomy, looks like I may get my tubes tied. How many days will I need help with my kids (ages 3, 2, and 5 months)? And how long before I'll be able to lift my 2 yr old who weighs 31 lbs?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 6:57 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Health

• I had mine done when my second child was 10 months old. His sister was 6. I was completely out of commission for about 24 hours, and could do absolutely nothing. I went in the mid-morning to get the procedure done. I went home early evening and slept for the next 12-15 hours. Then, I wandered around in a fog for a few hours, to eat and use the bathroom, and went back to bed. The next day, I was right as rain, ready to go. So, if you have someone help you for 1 day, maybe 2 just to be sure, you'll be good to go.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:00 PM on May. 21, 2010

• You should ask your dr. I had a newborn a 2- 1/2 yr old and a 5 yr old and my dh dropped me off at the house with all these kids and left us. I had my 5 yr old lift anything I needed lifting. I would imagine the rule is still 6 weeks for lifting anything.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:03 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was 35 when I had my tubes tied--10 weeks after my second child was born. I checked into the outpatient section of my hospital (Catholic, too) at 10:00AM, and I was HOME at 4:30PM, that same day!

I had no problem caring for my then 2 year old and 10 week old (including breastfeeding, general baby care, playing with them, etc.). I just had a some MILD tenderness in my abdomen, and two little incision spots, that healed within a week as the stitches dissolved.

I only needed some Tylenol the day after the procedure, and I was fine. It is a VERY easy procedure--because it is all done with lasers, and only two tiny incisions big enough to get the laser inside. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Generally they can do it laprascopically these days, I had complications due to scarring and adhesions from my c/s with my last son so my Dr had to cut me open along my c/s scar. So my recovery was longer than expected and included an overnight stay in the hospital. But with the laprascopic version they don't cut muscles or nerves, it's tiny holes that need only one or two stitches so the recover time is minimal. There may be some pain in your shoulders from the gas they use to inflate your abdomen and some tenderness in your abdomen and around the incision sites, but it should be minimal.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:20 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was 38, and was also an out-patient. Was a bit sore the first 24 hours, but after that it was minimal. Business as usual :)

The times I would feel it was maybe when I would get up from sitting, or reaching for something on the top shelf...not taking care of the kids.

Good Luck :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:04 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Look into Essure. No chance of self reversal. I had that done and was only out for that day but that is because I react horribly to meds. There was also no restrictions on what I could do except for sex and I was in and out of the office in an hour or so.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:02 AM on May. 22, 2010