The schools did nothing to deal with the bullying...you experience?

I was bullied from grades 5 to grade 8, and my teachers and principals did absolutely NOTHING to help me. The only thing my teachers did was to tell the children to "cut it out" after they teased me to the point of tears.

Were you bullied as a child? Did your school(s) do anything to help you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• I was bullied all through school. I was told to "conform", that I just needed to try to be like everyone else (I tried, and thought I was lol) I now home school my eldest and plan to hs my 2 year old. I just don't feel like the schools take bullying seriously. I get so tired of hearing "well, children can be cruel". And it's so sad, it can start so early!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:16 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I was bullied a lot throughout school. It was horrible and I detest the majority of my school memories because of it.
    There was only one time that anything was ever done about it.

I was riding my bike home from school and a boy in my class was walking home with a friend. When he saw me coming he swung his backpack at my and hit me in the face while I was biking.
    I fell off of my bike and onto a barbed wire fence. Instead of helping me they laughed and kept going. I was probably 9 years old at the time.
    I made it home with cut up hands and a cut up face and I was crying. My parents called the school and a school counselor sat down with my and the boy who hit me and we "talked" about it.
    It didn't do any good.
    He kept teasing me about it and would laugh with his friends about it.

I hated school.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:08 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was bullies in Jr. High to an extent, but I'm not sure the teachers or even my parents ever really knew. Then in high school there was this one kid who loved to pick at me, and my teacher's would all turn it around and make them look stupid. Like he once said "Oooo...Erin didn't have her homework today." so the teacher said "Well I guess if you made A's on all the tests you could afford to skip an assignment too huh?" and he said in another class "Erin's eating in class!" (something everyone else got in trouble for) and the teacher said "Well maybe you should be concentrating more on pulling up your grades and less on what Erin is doing." Then she smiled at me, knowing I really WAS eating in class, and went back to teaching. Not really bullying I guess... but he would TRY and upset me by saying things...so it was nice having allies.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:08 PM on May. 21, 2010

• i was a little. i was the "smart kid" and was very shy. i wasn't bullied too much - the worst was probably the boys that used to scare me chasing me around the playground. one day i flipped one over my shoulder onto his back. they didn't mess with me much after that. my daughter was bullied in 5th grade and tried very hard to get some help - the teacher repeatedly ignored her and ignored the girl that was taking her things and hitting her. finally one day my daughter socked this girl and of course got in trouble. when i went to the principal's office i said i hope you don't expect me to punish my daughter for defending herself, and i hope that you reprimand the teacher who forced my daughter into the position reacting physically. back to me - my mom ended up sending me to private school where she felt i would be around more kids like me...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:09 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was bullied by one boy in particular. He did horribly mean things to me. The school did nothing. This went on from Kindergarten through 5th grade. The only way it stopped was that my brother finally cornered the kid and threatened him. My brother was 17 and Ernie (The Bully) was 10 or 11. My parents called the school. I went to the office and complained many, many times and nobody did anything about it.
    I found out later that this kid was being abused at home and was taking it out on me D:
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:12 PM on May. 21, 2010

• OP

I forgot to mention the girl who bullied me in 3rd grade. She would walk behind me and kick me. But stupid her-she left footprints on my denim skirt and the teacher called her on it. She also cut my brand-new backpack with a pair of scissors. I don't why I was targeted...probably because I was the new kid.
    Anonymous

• kids are mean. almost everyone was bullied in some way, and they are tough memories. but it makes us who we are as well. i, for one, dont believe in getting physical with someone until everything else has been proven not to work, and i wont be afraid to tell my kid the same thing. if they have to get physical, so be it.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 7:18 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't know why I was targeted either.

In high school there was a girl who HATED me for no reason. I still to this day have never spoken to her in my whole life but she still hates me.
    I saw her at my 10 year high school reunion last year and she gave me the stink eye the whole time. It was pathetic.

She used to save pickle slices from the cafeteria at lunch and bring them to english class and throw them at me. She sat in the back and I sat in the front. She used to throw all kinds of crap at me.
    She'd mock me every time I said anything in class and would whisper and giggle with her airhead friend around me while pointing.
    I have no idea what I ever did to her to make her hate me or why the hell she hasn't let go of that hatred after 13 years.

I was quiet and kept to myself. I didn't have any boyfriends during school so it's not like I stole one away from her.
    I am still stumped.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:20 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was not bullied. I was the one that told the bullies to stop their crap or I'd make sure a bigger bully would kick their butt. I had a lot of friends and we'd make the bullies back off. I hate bullying. We also had great teachers and principals. I'd be happy to tattle on a bully in a heartbeat and the school personnel listened. That was a long time ago. I am sorry to hear that it's not that way now.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:28 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was only bullied one time that I remember...I think I was in the 2nd grade and this girl just started picking on me one day. I ignored her and didn't give her the satisfaction of knowing that she was hurting my feelings. That afternoon, I was walking out of the school when she ran up behind me and grabbed my hair bending me all the way backwards. I couldn't reach around b/c of how she had me bending over backwards, so all I could do it twist around really fast and bite her arm until she let go. She pulled some of my hair out that crazy brat! Anyway, she came back the next day saying that she told her mother that I bit her and that her mother told her to get everyone to call me "The Animal:" So mature. But she never bothered me after that.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:35 PM on May. 21, 2010