Science has created life. But, SHOULD science create life?

The first living bacteria built from computer generated DNA and assembled by scientists with chemicals from bottles. Never mind can they - they just did. SHOULD they? And if your answer is conditional, where do you draw the line - cell creation, multi-cell organisms, mammals, people?
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/21/venter.qa/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on May. 21, 2010

• no. absolutely not!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:08 PM on May. 21, 2010

• this is a wide grey area for me. considering how i believe the world cam about to begon with, i really think in a way, we are going back to the beginning. check out Intervention Theory. watch Zeitgeist. lol, yeah i weird, but it doesnt negate the fact that i believe in god, or a higher power, i just dont believe that higher power created us. i think we ourselves were genetically manipulated. we are becoming like our creators, and theres gonna be a few gross mistakes and mishandling along the way. i dont think it can be stopped, wether you think its right or wrong.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 7:15 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Do you believe in vitro is ethical?
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:18 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Leave the life making to God
    Anonymous

• Do you believe in vitro is ethical?

in vitro isn't mechanically creating life, it's just throwing some existing sperm and egg in a test tube and giving it a good shake (ok a little more sterile than that, but they are using pre-existing genetic material). These scientists are creating their own genetic material that never existed in any form until they made it up. It's not like taking a few chromosomes from a monkey and a few from a cactus - they invented the entire DNA strand with a computer program and chemically replicated it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:50 PM on May. 21, 2010

• No, they should not.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:51 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I can see both sides of this. I mean, IF science can create life, this opens doors to things like artificially grown limbs, or organs. It could be an answer to the issue we have with the high need for organ and blood donations.

HOWEVER, what happens when we create something better than ourselves? More powerful? More intelligent? I would assume that the point of creation would eventually be perfection. The problem is there is that SHOULD be have the ability to do so eventually, we could, and in my opinion, would be signing our own death warrant...

So I guess I have mixed feelings about this, just as I do about MOST medical and scientific "advancements." There are ALWAYS pros and cons, the key is knowing when we hit the limit and where to stop... Which we as people, never seem to know.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:55 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I agree with Sabrina. The last thing we need is completely soul-less, man-made life walking around in this world.
    Anonymous

• What happens when we screw up and create an airborne virus with a 90% fatality rate?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:17 PM on May. 21, 2010