If you worked from home...

And you set your own schedule and have flexible clients, BUT are unsure how long your savings will hold out...how long is reasonable to wait before easing back into work after a baby is born. I won't need the full six weeks+ necessarily because I can stop and start whenever I want and keep my baby in my office with me (which is also my bedroom)... but I also don't wanna over extend myself. I am the sole breadwinner right now, and as much as I'd love to take months and months... I also do not want to be stressing over how this or that is getting paid and when I need to work and how much etc... just stressing out. Anyone been in this situation before??? It's kind of unique I guess..

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 7:57 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm sort of in the same situation. I can work from home almost constantly. I plan to take it day by day. I haven't set a maternity leave schedule. I'm trying to have as much stuff on auto-pilot as possible before I go into labor. Also, delegate. If you have an assistant or someone who you can have do the work outside the office, that's a big help.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:14 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Unfortunately I do not...but how great would that be!!! I can do work whenever I want also...and working like an hour or two a day would keep us afloat...I was trying to stockpile money and I still am...but I slacked off last week and I could go at any time...so now I'm kind of freaking out!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:34 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Hi Erin,

Congratulations on the new family member!

I had and "office job" when my daughter was born, but I was doing work from home when she was two week old, in the office around twenty hours a week when she was four weeks old and working full time when she was ten weeks (and I breastfed for 23 months).

Not everyone can work with a baby on your lap; do you have any friends you can trade childcare with?

Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 8:07 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Fortunately, my husband is home right now as he is having one hell of a time finding a job that would pay the bills in his industry...and I'd rather him just stay here to help with the house, our two year old, and baby until he can pay for everything again where I don't have to stress about the kids AND all the bills AND whatever else. So luckily, he will be here...and when he finds work...I don't have to work unless I feel like it. The only issue is that I plan to breastfeed and obviously he cannot do that for me! So I will be the one waking up at night...but the fact that you did it at two weeks gives me hope!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:13 PM on May. 22, 2010