Does anyone think it's sad that my in-law's and in-law extended family aren't going to bother to come to my daughters first birthday??

Because they are using the excuse 'Oh, she's only 1, she won't remember'
Does anyone else think this is weird??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mmmegan38-

I don't think you read or understood the my post at all! I'm not talking about EVERY event, but the 1st birthday party! Maybe your families sooo big that they just don't appreciate how special a first birthday is to be honest, and I feel sad for you!

Louise2-It's not about money, did I say anything about presents? NO!!! It's about showing some sort of emotional commitment so that when they are old enough to remember, they'll see who cares and who didn't! Obviously your the type of person to be in the latter category, again, sucks to be you!
    Anonymous

• Yes I think its weird and my dh family is the exact same way.

For my baby shower, my MIL dropped off a gift, stayed 5 whole minutes, wouldnt eat anything and left so she could go to Walmart

I have stopped caring or trying to figure them out.
    Anonymous

• definatly wierd. thats funny too cuz my sons first birthday is tommoro, my SO's parents & two sisters are comming .. but all of his extended family, grandma aunts cousins uncles, none of them are comming. i think its wierd, especially because we have went out of our way to go to there functions, but theyve never came to one of ours. but its okay because i wont be going out of my way anymore either!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:21 PM on May. 21, 2010

• That is really strange...how is your relationship with them?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

• How far away do they live?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:26 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Well it isn't funny to me. I have ten siblings and I don't even invite them to my kids birthday parties. Never have, Grandparents can come but they never do. Having such a large extended family it is really not that important to us, my husband and my self--we go all out and the kids love it. HOnestly what would adults do at a kids party any way? I invite cousins who are the same age to come.
    We have tons of get together events during the summer some people come and some don't. Who would want them all to show up every time? I would have over 100 people at every event. We have over 50 grandkids (in my family alone) not including my husbands. Oh well to each his own. Have fun and sing extra loud for the ones who are not there.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:29 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't think it's weird. 1st birthdays are never remembered by the kid. They don't know what presents are or the date. I didn't invite anyone to my child's 1st birthday and I usually don't attend first birthday parties. They are more for the parents anyway.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:30 PM on May. 21, 2010

• No, it's ok that they don't want to go. Don't take this wrong way OP, but you really need to stop being so sensitive.
    Anonymous

• I would think they would want to experience this occasion with the family. It is sad that they care so little about the people in thier lives. I would probably not go to thier next function.
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 8:36 PM on May. 21, 2010

See, people say that about me too OP that I am too sensitive...its NOT THAT...I am thrilled they dont wanna be a part of my kids lives...I think they are weird. I just dont get WHY A GRANDPARENT would not want to be involved with everything possible. My mother goes above and beyond what is expected of a grandparent.
    Anonymous