Is this harassment?

My landlady never has anything nice to say to me, EVER! I was outside in the park playing with my daughter on Wednesday, and my landlady started to walk over to talk to me. She told me that I needed to switch the untility bill to my name (we moved from one bedroom to a three here). And pay her the $45 that she was billed. I said okay. Then she proceeded to tell me that I would need to find another place to live if I don't get this taken care of. Today, she knocked on my door like a police officer. Crazy like!!! I answered, and she threw my trash that was sitting out in the hallway to go out back into my house. She threw it! She told me she didn't want trash in her hallway, and demanded that $45 by monday or she would be taking me to court for eviction. EVERY TIME I talk to her, she is threatening eviction. No matter how big or small the problem. And she tells me how many problems she has in her life.

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 8:26 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i have had many crazy landlords. although she is going overboard and who gives a crap about her personal problems (surely you have yours) she is within her rights to ask that you not have trash in the hallway and that you take care of the electric. however, she should be going about this a different way. unfortunately even if you force her to follow the rules, you are likely not going to get your lease renewed and she will be messing with you a while.
    Anonymous

• Wow. I would definately look for another place. But stand up to her if it happens again. Like look her in the eye and say "No need for threats, thank you for telling me about the $ amount. I'm playing with my child, here" and smile. The trash thing, I would have said "Don't ever throw trash into my home again. I won;t leave it in the hall. Do not threaten me with eviction." And smile.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:31 PM on May. 21, 2010

• it may not be harrasment i dont know for sure, but it is very rude. if she has so many problems why is she so worried about you? and why would she want to evict you if you are paying your rent? does she do this to her other tenants?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:32 PM on May. 21, 2010

• even if it was harassment ... u can't REALLY do anything about it. a restraining order would be impossible, since she owns the place and you'd sometimes need to be around one another for paperwork or for whatever.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:32 PM on May. 21, 2010

• what I would personally do is say that from now on, all contact between you and her needs to be submitted in writing. let her know what with small child(ren) in your care, you simply cannot risk them hearing the constant idle threats of eviction and traumatizing with fears of homelessness. that kills a lot of problems in 1 shot.

PS in this economy it's unlikely she'd evict you. #1 it's very expensive to file! and #2 a three bedroom can be hard to fill and every month it would sit empty is $$$$$ out of her pocket.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:35 PM on May. 21, 2010

• oooh and your main concern.... your MAIN worry right now should be whenever your lease is due. i'd worry she's either gonna jack your rent up ridiculously or simply decline to renew your lease..... i hope it's 18mos at least. GOOD LUCK!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:36 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Why doesn't she like you? Is your child noisy? Do you throw wild parties? It's strange that all of a sudden, she doesn't like you.
    Anonymous

• She just sounds like she is crabby and knows you are an easy target.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:46 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Wow! I'm a landlord and would never be that crazy to any of my tenants. Even one that was horrible and I did evict her, but I never yelled or threw things. If I were you I would evict myself! My question is the same as anon's. Has there been a lot of problems with you? If not, I would go for the everything in writting thing and start looking for another place.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:51 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Just tell her, here's your money, no go tell someone else your problems. She can't evict you for not liking you so just keep the money stuff up to date and if she's a bitch, tell her to go f-herself.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:34 PM on May. 21, 2010