Witches, do you ever think to wonder or question if your god or goddess exist?

THIS WAS KIND OF A QUOTE FROM ANOTHER POST BUT THE QUESTION WAS MORE TOWARDS CHRISTIANS:

I know Christians are asked this question but I wonder if this is something witches should question or if muslims should question the validity of muhammad or if the Jewish faith should question their ideas.

Should a witch question a spell works or if it was just coincidence?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just to clarify something with the op... not ALL Witches are religious and not ALL Pagans practice the craft and yet believe in different Gods/esses. So are you simply asking Witches and if so with or without a religion?
    Just curious...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:37 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Nope, I've never questioned if my Gods exist. I see to much proof that they do. And as for the spells, everything in this world that happens happens because of the energy we put out, and that's all spells are, energy in motion. So no, I never question whether or not my spell work works, because even if it's not my energy which made things change, it was someone's or something's energy, and most likely my energy added to that...

Also, I wanted to note, that not all Witches believe in Gods or Goddesses. And many who do, aren't witches...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 PM on May. 21, 2010

• gmasboy, any of the above. If you don't believe in a god or goddess then obviously the question isn't answerable by you.

As a Christian I question my faith, I question my beliefs and I look deeper than answers like "The bible tells me so" most Christians I know question and look deeper into the bible than just reading it once.

Sabrina, in some ways I agree with you. If I pray and God answers my prayers as I asked it wasn't my prayers it was God's power that made things work out as they did. original question asker
    Anonymous

• I don't question whether they exist so much as what form they take and how much influence they have in my daily life. Is God the Mother Earth or is Mother Earth a Creation? Is there one omnipotent being, an omnipotent force, or some combination? Is this omnipotent Almighty or do they have limitations? Do they take other forms? Do they have more than one facet? Do all ways lead to The Way? Have they ever visited in human form? Can they even identify with humanity at all or are they completely detatched and focused on their own existance, leaving man all by himself until the afterlife? What does the afterlife consist of? Is it a joining with a collective soul, a Heaven, or are we reincarnated?

My religion is quite vague. I respect and revere the earth and the stars. I believe in a higher power and an afterlife and beyond that, I don't know.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:15 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I did my questioning and searching and exploration. I got my answers. I'm very content with my faith.

I'm always very excited to hear that someone has gotten first hand affirmation of faith-- like experiences where people have spoken directly to their deity or "signs from God" or the like.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:24 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't question my beliefs at all. They are my beliefs for a reason.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:39 PM on May. 21, 2010

I did not say that I did not believe in the Goddess, but your question is an assumption that all Witches believe in a deity and all do not.

I do not doubt nor do I question my beliefs I have learned that where I am with my beliefs, I am for my own personal reasons.
    As for my spell work, it is the energies being used that causes the change, wither it is a little from me and many others to cause change or all me... that is one thing I have never doubted ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:34 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I do not doubt my God and Goddess but I also do not grovel at their feet. I feel they want us to be in more control and in tune with ourselves and our surroundings. If a practitioner doubts the spell works then more than likely it will not work. Part of what we do is knowing in what area to focus our energy to get the results needed. In other words we have enough self confidence in ourselves and our environment to know our spells can and do work. And if they do not come forth immediately we know that some work takes time to come into fruition. All in all we walk with our Deities but they WANT us to be self empowered.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:30 AM on May. 22, 2010

• My Gods/Goddesses are the spirits of my ancestors... I don't doubt Blood!! I know they are there.... they have proven it to me time and time again!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:22 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Absolutely! I have no problems with doubt. If anything it sharpens my reasoning abilities. I know the Gods exist. I know this by faith. But to say the Gods exist like I exist, I have my doubts but it's not impossible to me.  To me it's not different than doubting that Nebraska exists. I've never been there, never seen it, can't think of a single person I know IRL who's been there or is from there. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I take it on reasoned faith that it does.

But as for magic, I have to question the results. Part of my magical training included distinguishing from conjecture, absolute coincidences, and wishful thinking. Wishful thinking is the hardest one to deal with because we too often only see what we want to see, even if it means changing the facts around to suit ourselves.

So yeah, doubt and questioning is cornerstone to my faith. :) I am encouraged to seek and find.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:06 AM on May. 22, 2010