Clomid and Metformin?

My dr prescribed me Clomid 50mg and Metformin 500mg yesterday. I start taking the Clomid on Monday, and I guess I'm supposed to start taking the Metformin now? I'm a little confused though because from what I understand, Metformin is a diabetes medication that regulates insulin, and helps women with PCOS. Well, I do not have diabetes, do not have insulin problems, and I have not been diagnosed with PCOS; but I'm pretty sure that my dr suspects it, though non of my blood work indicates that I have it and I ovulate on my own with regular periods for the most part. I guess I'm just confused. Has anyone taking Clomid and Metformin together? Does anyone have any idea why my Dr would put me on metformin, even though I do not have insulin problems? Any answers would be greatly appreciated :)

GavinsMommii

Asked by GavinsMommii at 9:32 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• i have PCOS too. and after months of trying for the baby i finally cracked and asked my doctor to give me something which would help me conceive. she told me that clomid has a couple of more side effects than metformin. but clomid works faster than the other medication, but thats not 100% either. so anyways, thats where my DH stepped in and said we'll go with metformin first as it had lower risks of harmful side effects. so then we decided that we're going to try conceiving for 6 months with metformin, if that still doesnt work then we'll switch to clomid. but with a healthy diet and a little bit of exercise instructed by my doctor, i got pregnant in 2 months !!
    as for ure question about taking BOTH the pills together. im not really a doctor so i cant give u any advice, but it does seem a little weird to me.i think it would be better u get a second option from another doctor. she he/she says its fine too, then go for it
    Anonymous

• oh and i dont have any diabetes either.. but us women who have PCOS.. our bodies tend to produce a little more insulin than required which tends to mess up the system not allowing our eggs to fertilize. hence we cant get pregnant as easy (or quick) as women who dont have PCOS.
    Anonymous

• so even though u dont have diabetes, metformin helps keeping ure insulin level controlled .. so relax, if ure doctor says its fine, then its fine.. it suited me really good. hardly any side effects
    Anonymous

• I was on both at one point. My fertility specialist said using Metformin is beginning to go out of "style"- it has been successful in women who may have PCOS, or a mild case, but it did nothing for me. Metformin helps to regulate insulin levels. Clomid actually helps eggs mature and release as part of ovulation. (PCOS often doesn't allow the eggs to mature to follicles, and therefore they are not released).
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:09 PM on May. 21, 2010