Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if i filed for divorce what do i fight for?

So I have thought about this for awhile and I thought if I got a divorce I would just ask Ex hubby to pay for just the house and thats it. I am working and going to school online full time and was wondering if i should be asking for anymore? what do you think is fair? also any advice is helpful thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • (op here) My older brother left his wife and pays child support and hes always gives extra money and buys his kids stuff, and he seems to be stressed and struggle from time to time and I just never wanted to be the kinda women who always takes and takes from someone she doesnt want to be with....

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • I didnt take anything, except child support which was lower than a judge would have ordered. He kept the 401k, his retirement account and all the money. I worked and continued to pay the rent and that was it. I see so many women who rape their x's and it is so wrong. So I agree with the poster above why would you want to take from someone you dont want to be with. Good Luck

    Answer by voni681 at 9:47 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • (op here) married for only 2 yrs, and we are very uncompatiable, fight constantly and i am just sick of it. he says he will change his ways and doesnt so i just ending it all

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • I think it is different for every woman. When I got a divorce I took everything because everything we had I bought with the money from my job or my famliy gave it to us. He had a drinking problem and could not keep a job therefor never had his own place to keep anything. I think it depends on who has the kids, who came in the marriage with what, whos' famliy gave it to you, who uses it more ect.

    Answer by nurdreams at 9:57 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • I don't think the court will make him pay for your house. They may allow you to keep the house but you'd have to pay your mortgage. You have not been with him long enough to get spousal support so all you would get is child support. You can google your state child support calculator but since you work his cs would be reduced. Talk to a lawyer and determine what your state would allow you to get. The court wants it to be equitable.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • I'm not getting anything but child support.

    Answer by rio_burb at 10:22 PM on May. 21, 2010

  • everything is based upon your state laws. if you have kids, its based on your COMBINED incomes. Because you dont work he may pay some in alimony but only married 2 years he may not have to. also only married 2 years you are looking at splitting all bills and equity equally. I was married for 3 months and I pickedup half of the debt he aquired (without my name on anyof it) and i was a singl mom before we got togehter and had very very few bills because i was on a budget but all in the house was mine and he lived with his mother when we moved intogether and he got half. So beware! and talk to an attorny before you do anything

    Answer by roxyann76 at 10:47 PM on May. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.