Why do so many of you always assume...?

That whomever disagrees with you is of the opposite political party?

Aside from the two main parties; we have several third parties; and approx 40% of the population {like myself} consider themselves to be Independent with no party affiliation.

Last week I agreed with the Conservatives on Illegal Immigration. Next week I'll agree with the Liberals on the War on Drugs {for example}.

That doesn't make me one or the other. It makes me a free thinker who weighs the facts of each issue & then make my own decision & not just accept some party line spouted by some out of touch politician; who probably couldn't tell you the price of a gallon of milk!

There are also people within each party that may not agree with every issue per party platform.

So why do so many of you assume such?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Op because many believe that people must fit a certain mold. I had 1 poster on here tell me I must be on PA and have likely never paid taxes in my life. I literally almost wet myself from LOL-even told my husband about the comment. All because I'm not stingy and have a compassionate bone (likely many) in my body.

PS- If you do not like the use of the ? mark, you have choices: A) do not use it. B) disregard answering from said mark. C) appeal to CM to disband use of the ? mark comment. or D) accept and move on. Sometimes I think the more ppl who complain about the? mark, the more some folks utilize it.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:43 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I am the same way, I think it silly just vote for someone just because they respresent a certian party. I think a person should vote for people they think can get the job done.
    nurdreams

Answer by nurdreams at 9:48 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I don't...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:00 PM on May. 21, 2010

• even a lot of democrats vote for republican ideas and vice versa. it's better to be an independent thinker than to just go with whatever the majority of the party says is right.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you. I'm a registered democrat, and I voted for McCain in the last presidential election. I choose not to be labled.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:55 PM on May. 21, 2010

• LOL, I love irony. Why do you assume that you know what people think? Some of us just have good memories and some people on here will say that they are either very conservative or that they have always been a Republican / are very liberal and / or have always been a democrat. Especially with the regulars around here, it's pretty easy to remember what party they tend to lean to, and if you don't remember then their answers usually point you in the right direction.

Why so sensitive about it?  Conservative and liberal are not bad words, they are just words.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I don't assume which political party one is affiliated with, BUT, it becomes crystal clear reading original posts and political threads WHERE on the political spectrum one lies! There is a CLEAR line of distinction between liberalism and conservatism!

But I do understand what you're saying. Because I was a registered Republican during the last Presidential election, I MUST be a "Bible-thumping, right wing, nut job!" LMAO!! You see, that would be the REALLY angry among us, who will lash out at anything because "their man" has failed to deliver (again)! :o)

Like I said in an earlier post, those who take politics personally, need to grow a thicker skin! Unless YOU are the one responsible for enacting laws and policies, it is not YOUR fault. All you can do is vote for the candidates that have PROVEN track records on the issues you are most passionate about. And if they FAIL, learn from your mistake!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:18 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Anon #2 you can't have a good memory when speaking to a blue question mark. This actually happens to me daily; so I'm not assuming anything but asking a question based on personal experience.

Lorikeet; again this happens daily...one day you agree with something I post and then two days later you're calling me some bleeding heart liberal; yet you have no clue you are speaking to the same person?

There isn't always IMO a clear line of distinction. I can be conservative on financial or legal issues (immigration/taxes/employment law/corporate regulations) and extremely liberal on civil rights or social issues (gay marriage/abortion/divorce/gov't drug policy).

Unless someone here states they follow either side's talking commentators or are supporting a politician or come right out and attack the otherside; I don't assume anyone has any party affiliation.

continued>

/OP/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I also find it very interesting that some of the worst offenders have chosen not to respond to this question.

/OP/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Why so sensitive about it? Conservative and liberal are not bad words, they are just words.
    *****

Not sensitive. Curious.

/OP/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on May. 22, 2010