Should I do something, maybe call CPS?

My house is like a magnet for neighborhood kids - we have the biggest yard so every kid between 6 and 12 years old seem to flock to my yard, on any given day there is probably 5 to 8 kids at my house every afternoon which doesn't really bother me. I make it clear they can play with the toys, use the swing set, only if it is used properly and any toys they take out they put back or they go home. Today I was making dinner when one of the girls, age 8, came in and gave me some flowers she picked. After I thanked her she mentioned that her mother never cooks, I asked who did the cooking and she said her brother. I asked how old he was and he is only 11 years old. I know some of the parents of these kids, but not all of them, and this girl simply showed up one day and befriended my 2 daughters. I know what street she lives on but not which house and she shows up as late as 8pm even though I told her my kids are in bed at 8.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I use to cook dinner at 11 and was not abused. I don't think that is grounds for calling CPS.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:10 PM on May. 21, 2010

• why would you call cps?
    Anonymous

• Well. I don't think so not yet anyway. She is not being abused, though maybe neglected but you don't know that. Many many families are fed from microwaves and though it is not the most healthy by far, it is much much much better for children to be with their birth families if it is a safe place, than elsewhere. However, it is strange that she is out at 8pm. It would be nice to have your husband walk her home and talk to the parents- because even sending her home at that time of night is a little scary unless you can see her enter her front door from yours......
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:12 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Neglet is abuse!!!! Hello???? It' the mother's resposibility to feed her kids not the kids responsibility!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• You can't always take what a child says to heart either. At this point it is daylight here until almost 9pm. Some parents still have the rule of in the house at the streetlights like we did as kids. IDK Not enough info to call CPS from
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:16 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I agree. What if he left the stove on? Or burned himself? Not safe.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:16 PM on May. 21, 2010

• i would walk her home one day have a chat with mom. that'll give u a better idea. as for cooking ive been cooking since 7 my moher was clinically depressed.... good luck do whatsbest!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:19 PM on May. 21, 2010

• You don't have enough info to go off of here. Just because she says her mom never cooks doesn't mean her mom actually NEVER cooks. She's probably just making a generalization because her mom doesn't cook very often. The 11 year-old may have the chore of cooking dinner. You don't know the situation. Dont call CPS and cause drama in your neighborhood.
    Anonymous

• [OP]
    "I use to cook dinner at 11 and was not abused. I don't think that is grounds for calling CPS"

--- I'm not concerned about what time the girl is eating dinner, I'm concerned by the fact that her 11 year old brother is the one doing all the cooking and that she's 8 years old and still walking around at 8 pm on a school night.

"why would you call cps?"

--- We don't live in the best neighborhood and the reasons above are why the thought of calling them crossed my mind.

Anonymous

• [OP] I agree with some of you, there isn't a lot of info. I'll try talking to her more and next time she comes up late I'll walk her home and meet her mom.
    Anonymous