help!!mommies with kids with autism!!i need some advice!!

my 4 year old is autistic and there are the good days and the bad days,today was a very stressful one my son cant stop laughing and we know thats some he cant control but i want to help him this is out of control he cant eat b/c of the lagh is very stressful hearing this crazy laugh all day!!!!!is this normal??does any one has a child whos going throug the same??

marielena18

Asked by marielena18 at 10:15 PM on May. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is your son receiving any therapeutic services? If so, this is a behavior that needs to be addressed and you should discuss it with your provider. If not, then you need to look into getting services. For now, can you distract your son with a preferred activity or food? Also, sometimes odd behaviors like incessant laughing can indicate seizure activity, so you may want to discuss this with your child's doctor, especially b/c seizures & autism often go hand-in-hand. I do have a son w/autism, but laughing uncontrollably was not one of his "things"; My son preferred screaming at the top of his lungs for hours on end. Something we found very helpful was diet changes, maybe you can look into that for your son. Changing his diet seemed to eliminate a lot of my son's odd behaviors & stims.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 22, 2010

• My oldest is on the spectrum. He does not have issues with laughing his are more yelling and anger and when he gets to that point his PhD suggested we go into a calming routine. He is to take 5 deep breaths, and then suck on a piece of sour candy/chew sour gum and then try one of his calming activities. So far that seems to help.
    If your son sees a therapist or gets services for his Autism I suggest you talk with the provider and see what they suggest. I think the pp has a good idea about talking to the doctor about it, and you could ask your doctor if a diet change would be helpful or not.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:09 AM on May. 22, 2010

• i thought my kids was just cheerful. =(
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 2:59 AM on May. 22, 2010