How can I get my little on in her crib?

My LO has been sleeping in our bed with us pretty much since day one. I am happy with myself that I did not put her in her crib form the begining, but I am breastfeeding and a full-time student. I needed sleep and she would fall asleep after eating and I could sleep while she nursed. I constantly worry about something happening to her. I know the crib is the safest place for her and I don't want her to sleep with me until she is twelve. I did with my mom. Please help me.

Aubreys_Mom_10

Asked by Aubreys_Mom_10 at 10:24 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My babies slept with me, too. How I got away from it, was to feed them to sleep, put them in the crib, then if they woke up in the middle of the night, I would usually let them into my bed because I preferred to go right back to sleep nursing that way. You could however, nurse in the dark in their room, put them right back in the crib after. Good luck.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:31 PM on May. 21, 2010

• BTW...My little one is four months old. I really want my bed back now though. The longest shell sleep at night is five hours.
    Aubreys_Mom_10

Answer by Aubreys_Mom_10 at 10:34 PM on May. 21, 2010

• The crib is not the safest place. Why do you think it is!? If you cosleep safely there is no danger, especially because you breastfeed (breastfeeders do not sleep as deeply and keep the baby in their arm pits near their breasts which is very safe). You can, however, have the best of two worlds. You can set up your crib, side car style. That way you have extra room and make yourself feel more secure. However, I reiterate that you will just put her back to snuggle in your pit and use the sidecar as an endtable. LOL. Here is a link:   http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/  

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:02 PM on May. 21, 2010

• And she won't necessarily sleep with you until she is twelve. You had a need that needed fulfilling. I don't know why people get stuck on these things! I was a crib baby and I used to WISH to get sick so that I could sleep with my mom. How twisted is that to wish you would get sick so you can snuggle with your mother!? I had trouble sleeping for years. Had to sleep with a stuffed animal until I was 16. Crib sleeping is a new concept, bedsharing was once the norm. People seem to forget that SIDS used to be called crib death.
    And to the other poster. Five hours is a sleep through. More than that is icing but not usual.

Finally, don't think that crib sleeping means you get more sleep. You will still have to get up for feedings, diaper changes, and comforting for several years just like it is for everyone. And you will likely get up just to check on her.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:08 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Amilee,
    Thanks girl. Your advice really makes me feel a little better. I just feel like I am a bad mommy. But you made me feel better. Thanks!
    Aubreys_Mom_10

Answer by Aubreys_Mom_10 at 11:42 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I was going to write basically what Amilee said but she said it all! Kudos Amilee! OP you are not a bad mom, I too thought co-sleeping was unsafe but after lots of research I learned it is much safer if done correctly, my sidecar co-sleeper was used only once.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:43 AM on May. 22, 2010