Nervous about a baby sitter.

My husband is overseas so it is just my 1 year old and I together all the time. I have a very good friend who is coming up to visit and I'd like to take her out for an evening but I am extremely nervous about finding a babysitter. It has always just been my son and I so I am worried how he would be for a sitter and if that person would be patient enough with him if he does freak out having to spend an evening with someone new. What if he doesn't sleep for her??? I am probably overreacting but I have to burden a babysitter with a child who is probably going to be a pain to them. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and how did it work out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe try doing an evening thing, where you leave after you've put the little one to bed? I don't knw if he sleeps through the night or not, but if he does, that might be the easiest thing.
    Anonymous

• I always felt better with women who had kids and were older than a teen. Because teens don't always have that "knowing" what to do. Now that my kids can talk, I might could do a teen sitter. Anyway if you could find a lady who is a mom or grandma, through church or your mom's group, and hang out with her to get a feel of how your little one does with her, how she is with him, maybe you could go from there....
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:34 PM on May. 21, 2010

• OP - yes he does sleep through the night but on occasion he has woken up crying over night terrors. Do you think he'd flip out if its not me laying him back down?
    Anonymous

• If he goes to bed and you are there and wakes up and you are gone and a stranger is there then yes I think he'll flip. I'd say pick a friend or a person he knows to baby sit him. If that isn't possible I'd find a baby sitter and do a trial run (an hour to the mall or so) to see how he handles it. make sure you prepare him for it before the sitter gets there (mommy is running to the store but I'll be back. . . this is how you act for the sitter. . . ) and when the sitter gets there give kisses and hugs and leave (don't string is out). good luck
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:07 PM on May. 21, 2010