at a loss...

My daughter is refusing to nurse anywhere but home and will not take a bottle, I am ready to rip my hair out! help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have SO been there!! My DD was the exact same way. Leaving the house was a nightmare, or just plain old didn't happen. She would only nurse on the boppy pillow (or some sort of pillow) so what I would do was bring the pillow in the car, park in the far back parking spot in the lot, hop in the back seat and nurse her on the pillow before we went into the store or where ever we were going. Do you think she'd do that? Does she nurse on a pillow? I eventually got her to use a bottle which was the most amazing thing EVER at that point. We just had to try every brand known to man. She ended up liking the Playtex Ventaire Wide Base bottles because they are "supposedly" very similar to bfing. Hope this helps and good luck. It can be soooooooooo frustrating.
    Chloesmama10

Answer by Chloesmama10 at 11:19 PM on May. 21, 2010

• People need more information. How old? Where do you try to nurse? How long does she old out/refuse?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:55 PM on May. 21, 2010

• OP- she's 4 months and usually will let her go about an hour of refusing to nurse in public before I give up and go home, I give the bottle until she gets good and pissed off, which depends on her. sometimes that's 5 minutes sometimes it's 30. then I will calm her and try again for a few minutes until she's angry again. she never takes it. she will take a cup but they flow too fast and she chokes on it. oh, and we try to nurse everywhere I need to go, department stores, restaurants, the mall. she won't even nurse in the car anymore and she used to be great nursing anywhere.
    Anonymous

• Great, this is going to be a favorite post of all the NO BFING in PUBLIC moms on here...
    Anonymous

• She's likely just distracted at that age. Does she start crying or is she content to look around? Do you carry her in a sling or put her in a stroller. Carrying her so she can see might help even if she doesn't want to nurse. I carried my baby in a sling and she often was distracted quite a long time with sights and sounds and didn't want to nurse. My policy was if you want to eat, eat. If you don't then we'll try again later. If you use a nursing cover, maybe she doesn't like it. Some babies do not like having their heads covered.

I would also stop trying to force bottles. That might be causing some anxiety for her. She might be equating going out with the stress (just a thought). The trick with cup feeding (no cover) is to NOT tip it to pour the liquid in. You tip it just enough to touch her lips and she will suck and lap like a kitten. If you tip it, she'll choke.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:14 PM on May. 21, 2010

• Now, I'm not a fan of nursing mom's rooms, but just out of curiosity -- will she nurse in one of those? Have you tried it? If she won't nurse there either, what is it about being home that is different from one of those rooms? Could it possibly be that you are more relaxed at home?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:17 PM on May. 21, 2010

• I had the same problem with my first, because I was so uptight, I was so worried about keeping covered, etc, that I couldn't relax, she sensed my worries and stress and wouldn't do it. Relaxation is key!
    Anonymous

• I remembered one more thing....about the bottle. Have you tasted the nipple? (I know its crazy but some of them are HORRIBLE.) My baby only gets a bottle if I'm at work and not at home, so we use the Adiri. Mimijiri is another brand that is breast like. There are other bottles like breastflow and ventaire that are supposed to be close to breast also. A lot of babies WILL NOT take a bottle from their mothers. Nor will some take the bottle if their mother is in the house, and will only take it if mom is gone period.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:29 PM on May. 21, 2010

• My son, who is also 4 months... will not take a bottle when i am home. And lately he's been refusing to nurse at certain times. I found that he is just distracted. He's curious and wants to look around and absorb everything. To avoid waiting til hes 'starving' to get him to nurse.. I take him in a 'boring' room.. in the house its my bedroom. when we are out and about its the bathroom or the car.
    I've also found that he does not like to be covered while nursing. He's such a hot body that a cover will irritate him and make him sweat.
    Hope this helps!!
    StephMosDef

Answer by StephMosDef at 1:59 AM on May. 22, 2010

• op- it's just me, so no one else to give a bottle so I guess we will just keep trying. I'm thinking she's just distracted, unfortunately she finds nothing boring lol...thanks ladies, at least now I know this is all "normal" :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on May. 22, 2010