Any advice for a smooth transition into a shared room?

For the past 3 years, my baby has slept in my room with me, and my 8-yr-old has had her own room. Lately, though, they've been wanting to spend the night together a lot, so I moved into my daughter's room and let them have the Master room.

However, since the 3-yr-old is used to falling asleep alone (as I didn't come to bed until long after her bedtime), she can't seem to get past the excitement of having someone in her room with her. It's been 3 weeks, and she's STILL not letting her sister get any sleep. This is made worse by the fact that the eldest spends almost half of her nights at her dad's house, so whenever she comes home, it's novel again!

I've been letting my eldest fall asleep in my bed and moving her over later, just so she can get some sleep, but I don't want to do this for the rest of their lives! Any tips on how to make this easier for us all?

BigMommaJesca

Asked by BigMommaJesca at 11:08 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Our children all share rooms. We have 8 children and only one boy room and one girl room. They won't even sleep in a bed alone. All of them are used to having each other to sleep next to, and we are glad they love each other so much. Take it as a very good thing that your little one loves having her big sister with her. It might mean a later bed time for both, but they will have wonderful memories of happy nights and fun times together to share for the rest of their lives. I love hearing our children next to each other at night, whispering and giggling. I might tell them it's time to go to bed, but it really makes me smile. Our youngest daughter, who is 3, does the same thing to her sisters, even though she has slept next to them her entire life. When it really gets to be too late, the older two pretend to be asleep as best they can, and that usually puts her to sleep pretty fast. They just stop responding.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:27 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I run into the same problem, hon, Abby wants to talk & play longer than Maddy does. I let Maddy go to sleep, and Abby stays up longer with me. Once she falls asleep, I put her in with Maddy.

I think it would help to talk with both of them about it too. Maybe if both you and L talk to A bout how her chatter is keeping L awake and making her tired in school the next day, A will realize she needs to be kind to her sister and shut it. I have to do this with mine from time to time, and I always stress that a sister is a forever friend and you have to be kind and considerate to your friends, ESPECIALLY your sister.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 3:04 AM on May. 22, 2010