Sick puppy could she die

me and my husband recently took in an abandoned and abused chihuahua puppy that was dropped off on our door. well she was really thin and we have been trying to put the Lbs on her. well its taken use at lest 3 weeks to get her to even leave the bedroom well now she just like any other dog running around and playing with our other chihuahua. well every 3 days we give our dogs wet food. out older dog pics out the wet food and leave the dry well today she went in to the kitchen behind our older dag and ate what was left of his food. now her poor little tummy is swollen at lest 2 times its former size. she doesn't act like shes sick but I'm worried about what this could do to her. could she be sick or should i not worry?

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 11:41 PM on May. 21, 2010 in Pets

• If she over ate, she might get diarhea or throw up. I don't think it would kill her unless you overfeed her all the time. She might just need extra food for a growth spurt, or maybe a higher calorie/higher protein & fat formula of food. Do you normally feed her puppy food?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Okay, I asked my sister who is a vet assistant what she thought...and if the puppy normally does not swell after eating she said there is a slight chance it is bloat which is serious...but since the puppy is acting fine, she said it's more likely worms because most puppies get them and they do make the stomach swell. So if she had a belly full of worms, then ate, it would be even more swollen, etc... She said signs of bloat would be the puppy would take on a weird posture and start coughing or gagging...but typically no food comes up, just saliva. If you see signs like that, take the puppy in right away.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:26 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Oh, and even for worms you should have her treated ASAP because it can lead to malnutrition if not taken care of right away...and that WOULD be serious, especially since you said you've been trying to fatten the puppy up. Oh, and she also said that bloat tends to strike quickly...so if she's still acting fine and it's been more than an hour or so since she ate...it's more than likely just a full tummy due to worms or overeating. If it was bloat and it's been awhile since she ate...she'd probably be dead or dying by now (not trying to scare you!) And there is no harm in giving the puppy worm meds if that is not it.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:30 AM on May. 22, 2010

• ps she not a puppy puppy she that stage between puppy and dog. we don't know how old she is we made a guess on her age?
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 12:48 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Same difference I think...applies to either. If she was abused and abandoned, I'm sure whoever had her were not up to date on her worm meds (which I think are given periodically the first year?) Bloat and worms are the only things that came to her mind, and if it was bloat she'd be dead by now according to the original posting time...so I wouldn't' worry. She probably either has worms or just ate more than you thought!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:59 AM on May. 22, 2010

• You should definately have her wormed. You should take her to the vet or at the least buy wormer at tractor supply or other such place.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:08 AM on May. 22, 2010

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:09 AM on May. 22, 2010