Pet stains & smells......

I have an older dog, who seems to forget to tell me when she needs to go out. I can't leave her out, she isn't suited to being an outside dog. So, she has been having all sorts of accidents inside, and I can't take it anymore! What can I do to make my carpet look/smell better? I have a shampooer, but can't get the solution for it anymore. (It is no longer sold where I shop......) Is there anything else I can do for my poor carpet? Please help, I seriously can't deal with this anymore. I have a scrub brush, and I'm not afraid to use it, if that is what it takes. I just don't know what to use/do. Thanks for any advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We have found that pouring baking soda on the pee spots brings it up from the carpet padding, which is the real problem with the smell. We pour it on, wipe it up with paper towels, and then pour it on again, leave it for a few minutes and vacuum it up. The baking soda turns yellow where there is pee, even in spots you can't see too much, if it's wet. It takes a lot of the smell away too. We also use the foaming no-vacuum pet odor spray, it works well. When we moved in here, Kiwi spilled grape juice on her carpet, so we shampooed it to get that and a dog pee spot out, well that made it stink SO bad, I guess previous tenants had a cat and didn't clean it. We got several bottles of peroxide (it didn't mess w/the carpet color), soaked the whole floor with it, and in the places it foamed up, we poured more, then just sucked it all up with the shampooer. We had to take it over a few times to get it all. It worked great. cont...
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:00 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Nature's Miracle? Also, call a VET office and ask them.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:32 AM on May. 22, 2010

• we use resolve to spot clean the carpet when our dog has an accident. it's the pet kind and it works pretty well. i would say use a different kind of solution for the shampooer, it probably wont hurt.
    and ya, i'd call the vet and tell them what's going on, sometimes there is an infection or something that can be easily cured.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:47 AM on May. 22, 2010

• With your dog being an older dog and FORGETTING to let you know they need is somewhat normal depending on age in dogs. My dog is just a year old and he sometimes forgets to let me know he needs out. So if you are concerned with it, then yes call the vet..There is a solution made by Bissell that has a scrub brush attached to it and its carpet and upholstrey cleaner. I buy mine at walmart it works great in my home and car. My husky always poos in my car when he goes to the vet and with this solution you cannot even tell anything has happened in my car. And depending on what kind of shampooer you have, you can look at the different solutions available and majority of them can be used in different shampooers. Good luck with your search to get rid of the smell...It can be difficult, but it is possible. I housed trained dogs so its a challenge but it possible, so dont loose hope with it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Now, we just do the baking soda thing whenever the dogs have an accident in Kiwi's room. Good luck. One thing though, make sure whatever you use doesn't have any ammonia, it will only draw the dog to it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:01 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Nature's Miracle will totally elminate the odors from the accidents, but this still won't solve your problem. You should take the dog to the vet, as there are medications that can be given to a dog with a weak sphincter muscle, if that the reason for the peeing. There coudl also be a another medical reason for the peeing besides age. If it really is just a matter of age, they do make doggie diapers that you could try on your dog. Changing a messy diaper has got to be easier than scrubbing your carpets all day long.
    Anonymous