Any Jews here??? (I'm not a Jew, but a Christian...just wanna be upfront - not here to offend :)

As You are Gods chosen people, I am curious about your religion, and mean no offence, I am not going to hide behind anonymity, I just want to learn....this is probably a tricky question....but here goes:

I the Old Testament ( the Torah?) atonement for sin was a blood-sacrifice, right??? What do you do today???

Nynne

Asked by Nynne at 1:43 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Okay.. lets see if I can help.
    Forgiveness is obtained through repentance, prayer and tzedakah (charity or other good deeds).
    In Jewish practice, prayer has taken the place of sacrifices. In accordance with the words of Hosea, we render instead of bullocks the offering of our lips (Hosea 14:3) (please note: the KJV translates this somewhat differently). While dedicating the Temple, King Solomon also indicated that prayer can be used to obtain forgiveness (I Kings 8:46-50). Our prayer services are in many ways designed to parallel the sacrificial practices. For example, we have an extra service on Shabbat, to parallel the extra Shabbat offering. For more information about this, see Jewish Liturgy. As we shall see, the purposes for bringing sacrifice are very similar to the purposes for prayer.
    It is important to note that in Judaism, sacrifice was never the exclusive means of obtaining forgiveness, was not in
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on May. 22, 2010

• That is called Yom Kippur. Here is a link that should offer more information. http://www.godandjews.org/yom_kippur_the_atonement_today.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Blood sacrifice is not required for forgiveness.
    Although animal sacrifice is one means of obtaining forgiveness, there are non-animal offerings as well, and there are other means for obtaining forgiveness that do not involve sacrifices at all. The Biblical book of Jonah tells of an entire community condemned to destruction that was forgiven when they simply repented and fasted, without ever offering any sacrifice, blood or otherwise. (Jonah 3)
    The passage that people ordinarily cite for the notion that blood is required is Leviticus 17:11: "For the soul of the flesh is in the blood and I have assigned it for you upon the altar to provide atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that atones for the soul." But the passage that this verse comes from is not about atonement; it is about dietary laws, and the passage says only that blood is used to obtain atonement; cont....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on May. 22, 2010

• not that blood is the only means for obtaining atonement. Leviticus 17:10-12 could be paraphrased as "Don't eat blood, because blood is used in atonement rituals; therefore, don't eat blood."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on May. 22, 2010

• This is a great source of information: http://www.chabad.org/

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Thank you all VERY much. I sure do appreciate the explanations, and scripture references :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 6:50 PM on May. 22, 2010