• In the Spotlight:

sugar gliders..

i bought a sugar glider off craigslist.org and he does not like being held.....he just runs. i know u can tame them but how?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Pets

• It takes time and patience and getting bit a few times..You just have to mess with him on a day to day basis..Try getting safe treats for them and lay it in your hand but keep your hand flat and let it slowly come in your hand..Dont ever just grab it, give it a few days and it should eventually let you pick it up...Hope this helps..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Depending where you live, they are illegal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I just googles it they are cute but a pain in the butt more of a nusense I think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on May. 22, 2010

• The West Mich SPCA has rescued a lot of them. They really don't make good pets most of the time.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:28 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Take your child to the library and check out 1 book each week. Read through the book together and do the activities together. These are very delicate pets and they require a ton of time and training. Make sure you aren't squeezing the little thing.

In general, I would never buy an exotic off craigslist because you want to make sure you are getting an animal that comes from a line of tame and captive bred and hand reared gliders.

A carrying pouch helps a lot of them get used to being with humans. Get a pouch for the glider to hang out in and wear the pouch around. A baby glider will enjoy being in a pouch with a "mommy" who feeds him. The glider should sleep in his cage with a shirt that smells like your child. They bond partly by scent exchange.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:26 PM on May. 22, 2010

• How old is the sugar glider? It is much easier to tame a young animal than an older one. I've had a variety of exotics (ie. animals that have not been sold as pets for long- mainly hedgehogs) and the ones I got as babies were far more tame than the ones I got as adults. I got one of our hedgehogs when she was about six months old- I don't think anyone handled her before we got her. She never really warmed up to people.

Ecodani has given good advice, I really can't add to that! My cousin has two sugar gliders... one is very friendly, and the other one basically tries to avoid all contact with humans.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:06 PM on May. 22, 2010