Do you get the support of your loved ones in dealing with your special child?

I'm having a hard time.

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:06 AM on May. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's hard! If your child has been diagnosed recently, they are grieving as well. And many of them just don't know how to deal with a special needs child. My parents were excellent from the beginning, but my ex, friends and my siblings were very unsure of how to help, so they just didn't. It's a very difficult time because your world has just been turned upside down and you have less support than ever. I would encourage you to get involved with your local special needs community - the local Autism Society has been my saving grace! Through my son's special needs preschool I met a group of moms that are my best friends now, and have been for the past 9 years - we've been through so much together and understand when one of us is upset, or can rejoice with one another over the "little" accomplishments most moms take for granted. You can't change anyone else's behavior, but you can create your own support community!

Answer by missanc at 8:21 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I dont have a child with special needs but I do have a little cousin who has Williams Syndrome and I am there for my Cousins as much I can be. They have the full support of our family. I am sorry you are having a hard time. There are groups out there where parents reach out to parents with special needs children. I'm sure you could google it and find other supporters. I will pray for you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I get support from my mother in law. My own mother seems afraid of my son. He has high functioning autism, and is very low maintenance when it comes to entertaining him. DH and I have asked many times to have her babysit for him and have offered her money, but she always refuses. I think she's afraid of him going into a major meltdown. She has never shown an interest in learning about his autism or autism in general. Too bad, she's missing out on a GREAT KID!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 2:24 AM on May. 22, 2010

• my family is amazing and tries to be understanding when my SPD 4 year old throws a screaming fit about something random. my sister is the most amazing, i think it comes from the fact that her 8 year old DS has Aspergers.
    Mamie_85

Answer by Mamie_85 at 11:29 AM on May. 22, 2010