How supportive is your husband in the care of your autistic child? In what ways?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 2:25 AM on May. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 12 year old son has autism and my husband is incredible with him. It's one of the reasons I married him - very few people were even comfortable around him, much less good with him. My son rarely has tantrums anymore, but on occasion he does have them and now that he's bigger than I am (my son is 5'3", I'm 5'1") he can be hard to handle, so my husband takes over. He jumped right on board with the reward/discipline program I have in place with my son. He quickly learned that when my son starts to escalate his behavior, we lessen our response to it (within reason). My husband also keeps my sons hair cut very short so that he's able to wash/brush it easily. I can't think of more specifics at this point, but he's no less a part of my oldest's life than he is with my other 2, or the one we have together.

Answer by missanc at 8:17 AM on May. 22, 2010

• He's much better now, but he was in denial for the first couple of years, and he made it very hard on me.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 9:39 AM on May. 22, 2010