Potty Training! Need some advice ..

Yay! So my daughter (21 mos) is showing really good results in asking to go to the potty, and actually going .. so I'm graduating her to training diapers and big girl undies. This is my first time, lol yes I'm a potty training virgin and have no idea how to go about this besides asking every 5 mins " Do you have to go potty?" and hearing " No mommy." So for all of the expirienced mothers' out there, any advice on how to make the change from diapers a bit easier on both of us?

DesignerMom0801

Asked by DesignerMom0801 at 3:33 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my son every 20mins and put him straight into undies(the switch was probably easier b/c we used cloth diapers). He was potty trained by the time he was 18months old.
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 3:38 AM on May. 22, 2010

• see i wanted to wait until my sone could tell me when he has to pee, but hes 24 months and stll doesnt talk well so i think im just going to jump in it and hope for a mess-free miricle! he will go when i tell him to go pee but i cant remember o take him every hour. and thats what you should do since she can talk, take her to the potty every few hours and keep asking if she has to go. you can go straight to the panties in the daytime and just keep an eye on her so she doesnt pee everywhere if you have that kind of time or patience
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:40 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I am using home made training pants. My mom made them for us out of the cloth diapers that we didn't use. W eare on our 3rd day of intense potty training and I set a kitchen timer and we try to do when it goes off. Otherwise I am asking if she is dry every 5min. If she isn't she come's to me and whines "dry" and we go and sit on the potty to finish what she started. I wish you luck but patience, consistency and dilligence is the key. We started with the timer a few weeks ago and went potty every 30-40 mins. and sat for 5-10. three days ago we were going every 10-20 mins, and she peed 16 times in the potty in 24 hours. Yesterday we went every 30 and she peed 7 times in the potty. Today we are going every 35-40 mins and so far so good. I wish you all the luck because you will need it. I am hoping to transition her to big girl panties in about 2-3 weeks when we have fully grasped the concept of telling mommy or daddy
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:59 AM on May. 22, 2010

• that she need to go pee pee or poo poo in the potty.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:00 AM on May. 22, 2010

• A lot of people don't like to do this, but I just let my kids run around naked at home. When they had to go, they ran to the potty. I did have them sit on the potty every 20- 30 minutes, but if they didn't go after a few minutes then we'd try again later. I also started out by having the potty in a more centralized location than the bathroom, and then moved it to the bathroom once they kind of got the hang of it. I'm guessing most people think that's weird though...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:47 AM on May. 22, 2010

• i dont ask my son every __ minutes... I look out for signals he is about to go or when he simply tells me
    "pee pee", we head to the bathroom and he goes. This method works better for us because I noticed asking him every 20 minutes or so just frustrated him, as if I was forcing him. If he didnt have to go, he didn't have to go. No point in making him sit on the potty if he doesnt have to go in the first place. Yes...many accidents, but they will happen no matter what method is used lol. Today is day 7. Yesterday he went 4 times in the potty, the most in a day so far! He only pees in the potty though. He refuses to poop in the potty. He wears underwear all day, traning pants for naps and outings and for now, diapers at night.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:56 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My mom let us run naked and had the potty in the front room. we all got trained pretty early. My s.o. will not let me do this because he thinks she will pee on everything :) (she might!) so he is gone all weekend and she is bare butt and loving it! only peed on one couch cushion (my s.o. favorite spot to sit). When i asked her why she peed there she told me that "Daddy told me too" oh ya shes super cute! WE are on day 3 and hopefully she will be more trained by the end of the week.
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 1:40 AM on May. 23, 2010