Sex Ed

How are you going to react with the age old: "Sex Talk"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• oh man we have been planning this.
    itll be me, my son, his father
    we will discuss the facts of sex, what it technically is and what happens, and then all of the possible outcomes of sex, and then him and his dad will have a fun day with bananas and condoms learning how to protect from such outcomes of sex....We are hoping he comes to us before a teen because thats when I learned about sex and my SO had sex for the first time at 12...so we dont want to rush it but we are diligent on what goes on for sure
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on May. 22, 2010

• My daughter is 17, so it's been a long time since we had the first talk. The best time for us to talk seriously is in the car or at the beach (way out in the water, away from everybody), so that's generally where we have these talks. We had the first one when she was a pre-teen, and we've been having them regularly ever since. I'm frank with her - open and honest - and I always have been. I figured if she was old enough to ask a question, she was old enough to get an (age-appropriate) honest answer.

When she started having boyfriends, the talks changed a little. She knows I prefer that she abstains from sex, but she also knows she can come to me if she does decide to become sexually active. I keep drumming into her head is that condoms alone are good, but I think it would be better if she used them with another form of birth control. And I will get it for her if she wants to have sex. (cont next post)
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 5:43 AM on May. 22, 2010

• The one thing I said that made the most impact on her was when she was dating the hottest boy in school. I didn't approve of him, but I didn't say anything to her because I didn't want her to keep dating him just to prove she could. Anyway, I told her that if she has sex with him, she may as well be having sex with all of his previous sex partners, all their sex partners, and on and on. That's the gist of how diseases are spread. When she thought about all the people that he'd supposedly had sex with, she decided it was a little too gross. They quickly broke up when she wouldn't have sex with him, and within months, he "had" to marry his current girlfriend because, you guessed it, she was pregnant. Thank God we all dodged that bullet!
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 5:46 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I have been talking to my sons or the guys since they were five about their own bodies and when they turned ten and eleven about sex. I also talked to them about the biggest rule about sex if you are having sex with a person can you see yourself with them ten years from now? I also told them if its no its no I talked alot about the responsibility of being the guy and that the responsibility was both of theirs for birth control. I talked to them about everything.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:26 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Oh and my favorite phrase I must have said to them for years no glove no love.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:29 AM on May. 22, 2010

• This is not "a talk" it is a series of coversations, starting practically at birth with teaching your child the proper names for body parts and their functions. You should always be on the lookout for teachable moments. like a pregnant relative or neighbor with a litter of puppies.

Always answer questions honestly, don't be afraid to say: I don't know, but we can learn together.

Make sure that you have the correct facts. It seems that most CafeMoms don't know the difference between a vagina and a vulva.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:36 AM on May. 22, 2010

• There hasn't been one "sex talk" with my kids. I have been giving them little pieces of information along the way as they are able to handle it or ask questions. They are 8 and 10. My 10 year old will be having sex education presented to him next year in 5th grade, so before then we will be having a very long talk about everything they will be covering, but he already knows quite a bit.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on May. 22, 2010