if you breastfed longer that one year...

how much longer did you breastfeed.
my LO breastfeeds. almost 1yr. He has grown out of eating from breast all of the time, and with eating solids in the morning and for dinner he feeds on the breast a lot less...
anywho

I was thinking of making it a morning and night thing when he turns one so the BOOB isnt completly gone, and then once we can transition to regular milk and we determine he can go the morning with out then i'll stop morning feedings, which will also be good to reduce engorging then last but certainly not least
night feedings...lol
I dont know how long that will ask. he doesnt eat a lot at night, maybe 5minutes, but I dont know im nervous...

howd weening after 1 year of BF work for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started the weaning process at 18months and the last time she nursed was when she was 20mo..
    I cried the last time she nursed & wished I would have let her nurse longer, but that was just for my comfort. lol..
    I weaned her from day feedings, then morning feedings & lastly the night feeding. I was really suprised she didnt fight with the night feeding more but she did it like a champ. so i was happy i didnt feel like i was depriving her of anything.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:01 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I worked full time and breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:37 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I just made it to a year bf my dd & she's still going strong. Gonna let her decide when she doesn't want it anymore, she'll ask when she wants to nurse. Good luck & good job making it to a year!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:46 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I haven't weaned my son and he is 2 and a half. He only has a feed before bed and early morning as waking up. During the day he may come and have the breast if he is upset or needs comfort but that's it. I have no clue about weaning but I think it will hard if your child isn't ready. Good luck and sorry I can't give you any advice.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:01 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Good Job making it to a year Momma!!! That's wonderful! If you want to wean it sounds to me like you have a great plan!

My first nursed til 26 months of age. My 2nd is still nursing at 2 1/2, and I can't imagine my 8 month old stopping before hes at least two.

That's what works for me, you will do what works for you! :)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:30 AM on May. 22, 2010

• My daugter is 18 months and still nursing. I am also pregnant, so I will more than likely be tandem nursing if she doesn't self wean before then. I follow child-led weaning, but if you plan to do parent led weaning, you need to do it slowly. Cut out one nursing session (starting with the least prefered) per week. Usually the last ones to go are the morning sessions and before bed. You can also go with the "don't offer, don 't refuse" aproach, waiting on your baby to ask instead of offering. You can try to offer a snack or a sippy cup when they do ask too. HTH!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 9:32 AM on May. 22, 2010

• The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding without any restrictions for at least 2 years. Toddlers that don't get to breastfeed 6-8 or even more times every 24 hours are being deprived of their birthright of breastmilk. Children don't need to be weaned by mothers. They will outgrow the need to breastfeed. Usually in the US this is around the age of 2.5 - 3. As long as a child is breastfeeding they are getting the benefits of human milk and breastfeeding (jaw and facial development).

A baby that is 11 mo needs to be getting most of it's nutrition from breastmilk or formula for proper brain growth. If you aren't nursing 6-8 or more times a day you must give your baby formula or development will suffer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:41 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I breastfed my oldest until he was 15 months and then gradually reduced his bfeedings during the day until it was only his nighttime one. That one was the last to go, but he loved his sippy cup so it wasn't too hard.

Answer by missanc at 12:34 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I breastfed until 16months. But by then it was just morning feedings and it was more for me instead of her. I'm not really a morning person and it was easy just to let her snuggle and nurse until she fell back asleep. But eventually I started making myself get up and get her solid food for breakfast and never really experienced any engorgment.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 2:50 PM on May. 22, 2010