C-section question..

Is it normal to be given an epidural for a c-section, or do they use other drugs? My son was a last minute c section, and I had already been given an epi because I am 100% expecting a vaginal birth. So when someone is knowing going to have a c-section, what meds are used?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 7:59 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had an emergency one and they did an epi--I then requested more meds for the nausea that I had from the epi so they pushed the phenergan. I am a light weight when it comes to meds and they overdosed me according to what I have taken in the past and I was out cold for 2 hours after I had her. So if you need meds tell them to take it slowly so that you will be conscious enough to enjoy your baby. Don't beat yourself up if things don't go as planned. Just remember that you did what is in your baby's and your best intrest. Congrats on the new little one coming into your life.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:38 AM on May. 22, 2010

• i had a csection & i got an epi
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:07 AM on May. 22, 2010

• P.S- Every time I try to edit my question to correct my typos, it gives me an error. So please don't come on here bashing me for being illiterate. Just answer the question please ;)
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:03 AM on May. 22, 2010

• My first was an emergency and my second and third were planned and for all 3 I had a spinal block done right before them. They can use an epidural as well. This explains a little about the differences: http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/22581.htm

whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:08 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I had a planned csection and had an epi, along with an IV into which they pumped some pain medication. After the csection they couldn't stop the bleeding, so I was given a general to knock me out. I woke up about 30-45 mins later in the recovery room.

Answer by missanc at 8:09 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Planned c, epi. Good luck!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:25 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I've had general, a spinal and an epidural. Depends on who is doing the anesthesia and what they are most comfortable with. The guy who could only do general was a JERK!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I was given gas (20 yrs ago) then for my daughter I had an epi.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 8:42 AM on May. 22, 2010

• i had planned c section
    spinal shot, tube in arm for morfine

when recovering in room after, take your time
    i pressed to get back to our room with husband and baby (of course)
    rest as long as possible and days after too

i must have over did it, or maybe just a bad roll of the dice, when i weened off pain meds at home for incision, i have SPINAL HEADACHES, had to take meds for that and every time i over did any back stuff i would get these killer headaches for 2 and a half days, this happened for over a year, could be just my bad luck, but after i read that woman who gets spinal headaches from shot in spins (fluid leaks, brain not cushioned) these women did not take it easy and tiny hole in spine does not heal, let it heal first off right away

ps
    c section a breeze other wise, pain not bad, do not feel bad if you have to have and not a 'normal birth" you still have her/him, the birth part you have to let go
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:08 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I had an epidural.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:09 PM on May. 22, 2010