Why the delay in potty training?

The average age of potty training in the 1940's was 18 months which is still the norm. in most of the world. In America the average age a child is potty trained is around 3 and continuing to rise. So why is there this delay in potty training, why is this generation taking so much longer than previous generations to potty train their children?

laciD

Asked by laciD at 9:27 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Parents let their kids rule the roost these days and see no problem with an almost 4 year old still crapping their pants. After all, "they'll do it when they're ready." BULL!!!!! Kids, especially boys, aren't going to get toilet trained unless you train them. They're used to going in their pants, they're been doing it since they were born. Why should they stop?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on May. 22, 2010

• 1. someone has realized that peeing in a pot isnt exactly a measure of ones inteligence
    2. more parents let their children direct when they are ready for potty training instead of forcing the issue
    3. people are lazier/busier that way back then
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:36 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Because parents don't want to deal with it and are coddling kids these days..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I guess because by age 3, most kids have more verbal skills and can actually tell you when they have to go or are ready. I personally think 3 is a bit late. My son is 25 months old, has a speech delay and is doing fine with potty training. After 6 days he finally started saying "pee pee" when he has to go (beforehand it was just "eww" or "uh oh"). I couldnt imagine my son comng up to me at age three saying "hey mom I need a diaper change, can I start using the potty?" lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:38 AM on May. 22, 2010

• not to say i'm all for early potty training. hitting a certain age, like 18 months old, doesnt automatically mean it's time to start. Potty traing should be child-led.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:40 AM on May. 22, 2010

• What got me thinking about this was a incident at my son's baseball game (he plays on a 4 year old team) there are 3 kids on his team still in pull-ups. A girl on his team walked up to her mom (who was on her cell phone) and told her she needed to pee, her mother told her to just  go in her pull-up... my jaw dropped. Especially since the bathroom was 10 feet away. The coach (who is female) overheard and took the little girl/along with her own daughter who is also on the team to the potty.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:51 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Because some of us have children with issues--like Autism or Down Syndrome! Some children are simply not ready, scared of, or not interested in learning to use the toilet until age 2-3 or beyond. In SOME cases it may be coddling, in other cases, there may be a legitimate developmental issue that prevents the ability to learn, or the ability to "feel" that they have to go, before it's too late!

Kudos on those parents that successfully train their children before age 2. But, my question is...why the rush?! Are those of us who have had to deal with OTHER issues in our children which we felt were of more importance to address than pottying, somehow considered "poor parents" in your eyes?!

If so, get back to me in about 15 years and we can compare which colleges our children are attending or have graduated from! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:52 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I honestly believe that a lot of this is due to the fact that most moms work these days and they aren't' home to potty train their kids. I started working from home a few weeks ago and I know have my child about halfway there and she isn't quite 2 yet. I believe that the other portion of it is that it is easier to change a diaper. I am done changing diapers and I wanted to be done when she was 18 mos old, but I worked and Dad thought that it was easier to change diapers.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:54 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Because after potty training 3 kids, I know that it's MUCH easier to train them when they can pull their own pants down/up. My oldest has autism and didn't train until late, my 2nd son trained at 3, my daughter trained at 2 - it was much more a matter of when THEY were ready than when I was ready for them to do it.
    Also - my mom always said she had us "trained" by the time we were 18 months, but now she knows that it was HER that was trained to take us to the potty, not us who were actually trained.
    My 4th is 18 months and nowhere near starting to train! His little sister is due in July and since I'm concerned about some regression, we aren't even starting until he's well used to having a new baby in the house.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Of course I am not talking about children with developmental delays. I never said they were "poor parents", if you think that you need to read my question again because that is not what it stating at all. Its simple asking a question and why there is such a huge difference. I personally think it has a lot to do with disposable diapers and there ease of use but that is just my opinion.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:56 AM on May. 22, 2010