divorce

me & my husband. i'm to the point i'm ready for a divorce. he doesn't fill my needs, but see he controls everything. how would i get a lawyer when i have no money, he's goin to fight for the kids.he's not getting them. i have no family or friends to help me. can someone please tell me how to do it

tigger219

Asked by tigger219 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Relationships

• all money is mutual at this point
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 4:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Stupid question maybe. Is he controlling because he is abusive or is he controlling because that is how it has always been in your relationship. Do you just want out because you aren't safe or do you wish it would change. If you aren't safe, go to a shelter. That will start the process. If it's the other, different story and I would give you a different feedback. I am sorry you are in this position. It sounds like you are doing it on you own.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Yup all money is mutual. and the above lady is also right. If he's abusive take you and your kids to a shelter. If not then seek counseling with professionals who can help. Or a pastor or priest. Good luck to you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• GET THE LAWYER! ALL MONEY IS MUTUAL! AND HE MAKE MORE MONEY THAN YOU IN SOME STATES HE HAS TO PAY &/OR HELP YOU PAY FOR YOU TO HAVE A LWAYER AS QUALIFIED AS HIS! GOOD LUCK AND HOPE ALL GOES WELL! ~KAY
    KAYOCHOA

Answer by KAYOCHOA at 4:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• to try and answer the question, the state usually someone at Department of Human Services can find you an income- based lawyer.
    Call or go there and ask. or get him to pay for your lawyer(in the divorce papers).
    lillygabesmom

Answer by lillygabesmom at 4:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Legal aid (available everywhere) can help....
    and ditto to what everyone else has said...
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 8:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I would try being friends with him so if you do split up, you won't need a lawyer and it won't be a fight. That hurts the kids anyway. Maybe see if yall could come up with a plan, like you figure out where you'll live and work, and what days you think he could have the kids, and see if he will go for it (agree)...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• if he is abusive get to a battered woman's shelter as quick as you can, and take the kids with. they can help you find a lawyer and give the support you need.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 7:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2008