5 mo old dd eating

I started DD on solids a few weeks ago and she LOVES it. She will eat an entire thing of baby food mixed with cereal. But she's getting to where she wants stuff off our plates. She isn't really reaching for stuff yet. But she just sits and stares or she will yell and pound her little fist at me. I will feed her right before I eat (until she stops eating) and she still does it. I don't give her anything off of my plate because I'm not sure what all she can really eat right now. So far baby food wise she has had applesauce, peaches, pears, sweet potatoes, squash, and banannas. Is it ok to start expanding her food a little bit? I'm just not sure what all she can and can't have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's recommended that babies be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months. If a baby is formula fed it's not so bad to start solids after 4 months. Formula should remain the main source of nutrition for the first 12 months. All food you give your baby shoud be for nutrition not for fun, experience, practice, or other non-sense like some people may tell you. That is a myth started by a formula company.

According to the latest research a baby can eat anything after 6 mo except cow's milk and honey, these need to wait until after 12 mo. Babies and toddlers should have 4 oz or less of juice in a cup not a bottle a day. They never need cereal or baby food. You can fork mash food and let the baby feed herself.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:31 AM on May. 22, 2010

• As long as something is soft and mushy, it's fine to feed it to her off of your plate provided she has had all of the ingredients in it separately first to make sure she isn't allergic and it doesn't have added salt/sugar. "Real" food tastes much better than baby food!

Answer by missanc at 11:42 AM on May. 22, 2010