Why do people say that the baby's penis should be pointing up in the diaper?

I'm clueless and I tried once but it wouldn't stay in that position and I will not tighten the diaper to make it stay like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have two boys, never heard that... I think once the circumcision is healed there isn't much of big deal. And at that point it's just to keep it from rubbing. But not all boys are "hung" the same, so your son may just need to let it hand naturally. If it's not hurting him, don't worry about it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:41 AM on May. 22, 2010

• lol I think it's to point down. to pee that direction. I can't imagin that would be confortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I think it's point down (so he doesn't pee up towards the waist of the diaper). If he is flaccid (not erect) it should not matter to him which way it points.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:44 AM on May. 22, 2010

• You shouldn't really be trying to make it point any particular way. It should just basically "go where it wants to go" as far as how it lays against the baby / in the diaper. (Assuming, if you had him circumcised, that he's all recovered from that, etc.)

Just make sure that you have an extra diaper or something on hand to toss over him when you take the old diaper off, especially is he's pretty young ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:45 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I think you're being pranked. If it points up and he pees there is not as much absorbency in his (disposable) diaper up there and he's gonna pee all over the place.
    SillyRooster

Answer by SillyRooster at 11:05 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I've always heard that it was supossed to point down so that they don't pee upwards and leak out of the diaper. It also just seems more natural for it to be pointing down. I can't imagine it being very comfortable to MAKE it point up.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 11:07 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I think you should let it hang personally. I've never heard of this.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:10 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Someone is lying to you. Pointing it up will allow the boy to pee right out of his diaper!!! It should be pointing DOWN, which is more comfortable and how the men I know point theirs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I always found that if you point it up, the pee comes up and out of the diaper, I always tried to point my little boys penis down.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:10 AM on May. 22, 2010

• I babysit my nephew and we had to point it down b/c he'd pee all over himself and everything.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:11 AM on May. 22, 2010