how many times a day should i feed my 5 month old step 1 baby food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i use to give my daughter two times a day. in the morning and i would send it to daycare for her lunch. but really i think whatever you feel is comfortable. you can start with once a day and then move up to two and three times whatever works. good luck. its a great time. i miss those first feedings.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:15 AM on May. 22, 2010

• With both mine when beginning I only fed them an once at a time. For the first week I mixed and once of babyfood with an once of formula. So their system's can adjust. Then depending on how well their systems adjusted was how I began to add 2 meals a day then up to 3. As well as eliminating adding formula after about 2 weeks.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:15 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Technically you shouldn't start until at least 6 months, but since it sounds like you've already started, you should at least keep to the idea that your child is supposed to be getting the most (90%) nutrition from breast milk or formula. Food before that time is just for exploration, not nutritional purposes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 22, 2010

• Never. Babies should be breastfed only until 6 months.

If you have started solids before 6 months you don't need to feed baby food. You can fork mash food and let the baby feed itself. All food should be nutritious. The idea that solids are for fun, experience, practice, or other non-sense is a myth started by a baby food company. The only foods a baby can't eat after 6 months are cow's milk and honey according to the latest research. Babies can eat these after 12 months. Babies and toddlers should have only 4 oz of juice a day or less and it should be from a cup not a bottle. They should drink water with meals to help wash down food.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:23 AM on May. 22, 2010

• None. Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 12:07 PM on May. 22, 2010

• rkoloms is one of the people on cm that keeps spreading the myth that solids are for the experience not nutrition. Then she suggests nutritious foods and has lists of foods babies can't eat. If it's for the experience then what does it matter what the baby eats? Non of her info is accurate or up-to date. I email people that give out bad info but they don't care, they just keep doing it. They don't care if their inaccurate info hurts other babies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Rkoloms- IF baby food has no nutritional value, why do the packaging/jars say other wise? Did you know that the box of gerber oatmeal gives the nutritional value of the oatmeal from ages 0-1, meaning, BABIES. Did you know that the box also says, "The GOOD NUTRITION of iron-riched cereal is an important part of baby's diet until the age of 2." Nowhere does that say before 1 it has no value. If tells me specifically what nutritients my baby is getting, so does jarred baby food.

OP, Formula or breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition. Milk before food and whatever amount of baby food that baby wants after that. Start with once a day and work your way up to 3 if that is what baby wants. I did once a day until I went threw all foods and had no allergic reactions. 6 months is average start and I believe in waiting until 6 months but to each their own.
    Anonymous

• 0, wait a month
    Anonymous

• Rykolms is right baby food is not for nutrition it is for practice. It does not mean that they don't get any nutrition it just means that is not it's main purpose and if you are going to feed your baby make it healthy. I don't agree that jarred food is horrible though.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:29 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I started my son with jarred step 1 baby food at four months and I gave it to him twice a day! He ate it just fine! It is really whatever you feel comfortable with and what your baby wants. And if you baby doesn't want to eat then they will let you know by simply not eating it. Good luck and remember its whatever you feel most comfortable doing for your baby!
    RobinE8

Answer by RobinE8 at 12:43 AM on May. 23, 2010