Need help please.

My grandparents are my babysitters when I work and need mommy time.
They absolutely love my son even as their own and its frustrating because they do not listen to me when it comes to feeding him. He is 16 months not a picky eater but a minimal eater. He loves fruits n veggies, would eat them all day, likes fish and chicken and not meat. Doesnt like things fried. Like ideal right?! My whole family and my SO are overweight. My son is healthy and lean but my grandma wants to fatten him up because in her mind because he is skinny he in unhealthy. So she feeds him ice cream, hot dogs, sausages, etc. Do you know of any articles I could show her so she can see that stuff is bad for him. She doesnt believe my word and Im hoping if i have it in writing she will stop giving him crap.
I have confronted her but she just does it behind my back.

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 12:50 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell her his DOCTOR says he can't have that. I would send food for him and ask that they only feed that. If they can't comply, I'd find daycare.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:55 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Well My son is a VERY picky eater. & He is 18 months old. I have a 4 month old who seems to weigh as much as him. I feed my 18 month old hotdogs Cooked though not raw and anything...to h=get him to gain some weigh cause to me he is very skinny. Neither of us me & my So are over weight. But I understand your point of veiw as well. I would reccomend going to your childs pediatrician and they can give you brocures or printed out papers of a healthy eating guild thats just right for your child. Hope this helps. God bless
    beachbabewdj08

Answer by beachbabewdj08 at 12:57 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I'm a grandma that takes care of my 20 mo grandson while my dil works and can't deal. He is 20 mo and weighs 20 pounds. I feed my grandson foods to fatten him up. In our situation I have the doctor's permission to do that. My dil has had wierd food ideas and most of them I have gone along with. Some of them my son said just ignore what she says and don't tell her. I wasn't wrong about anything.

He has eczema head to toe. She didn't think kids should have strawberries or anything strawberry flavored until after they were 2. Allergy test showed no allergy and allergy doc says strawberries great. She started feeding him eggs at a young age to fatten him up and didn't tell me. Now he is very allergic to egg and it really limits the things he can eat since he is also allergic to wheat, peanuts, beef, chicken, ham, and other foods.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:05 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Sometimes grandmas are right about foods. Kids are going to be exposed to things like ice cream and hot dogs. I sometimes let my grandson have ice cream (with no eggs and he's not allergic to milk). I wouldn't eat a hot dog but 95% of kids do. You are lucky to have your grandma watch your son and if that the worst thing she does you should be very, very happy.

You could pack him some fruits, veggies and other healthy things to take in a lunch box with him to her house so he has things you approve of. It's hard taking care of a toddler when you are older and coming up with toddler friendly foods to eat. If you have it all ready for him that will make it easier for her and may solve all the problems.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:12 PM on May. 22, 2010