Is a person born gay? Or does a person choose to become gay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Born gay I say.

Answer by louise2 at 1:04 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Why would anyone choose the stigma that goes with being gay?
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:06 PM on May. 22, 2010

• OP did you choose to be straight?

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:07 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I think i agree with what delilahsmom is thinking. Being "gay" is only an attraction to the same sex. I was born with an attraction to the oppisite sex. So, id have to say.. i think you are born with it. And, just because im pretty sure this will turn into a huge debate. Being gay is not wrong. Its their decision... not yours. :D
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:17 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I do not think MOST people choose it. I think when you are legitimately gay you are born that way. Before I get bashed PLEASE note that I have gay family members that are well and truly gay and I love them very much! However, I also believe that there is a loud and obnoxious element out there that is gay as a form of rebellion. And yes they CHOOSE that stigma to make a point and cause a stir and rebel. So in answer to the OQ I think that it's both :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:17 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Exactly. Do heterosexuals choose to be straight? Or are they born straight? Why should we think homosexuals are any different than us? Either you're attracted or you're not.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:27 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Either or both.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:32 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Op here: well I am not against homosexuality, and I too have family members and close friends that are gay. I guess what I meant was do you think today with media and time changes a person would choose to become gay? or is born gay?
    Anonymous

• Both

I think there are a lot of people who for whatever variety of reasons are born homosexual/transgender etc.

But I also think that there is a small sub-section of the population that chooses it; maybe just for experimentation to 'see' if they were; but I'm counting that as a choice.

I don't think any of it is right or wrong assuming all parties are consenting adults and they do their private business behind closed doors. But that goes for any type of relationship not just out of the norm ones.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:02 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Most are born that way. Science has proven it. Just like science is working on proving that people are born transgender. However, there is always an exception to the rule so there are bound to be a few who choose it but they are not the majority.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:18 PM on May. 22, 2010