to raise your kids on jesus or not to?

How many of you start teaching your kids about god at an early age? I would rather raise my children to believe what they want. I have a friend who thinks her granddaughter is the best child in the world because she know's who Jesus is (they are Mormon) & she's alway's trying to put me down for the way I wanna raise my kid's. I mean no offense to her but her oldest is a "non-believer" 24 male who wears all black and makeup and still lives with her and her other 2 well let's not get started on them. To me it's their freedom of choice but I have found few who agree.

LoveKillsSlowly

Asked by LoveKillsSlowly at 1:02 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• A child given the freedom to think for themselves has no NEED to rebel by smoking pot, dressing as a creepy goth, or getting knocked up at the age of 14. Your attitude is commendable. Children are NOT our possessions, to do with as we wish, including brainwashing them into our chosen religion. They are unique individuals who must be free to find their own path and not be terrorized by religion or inane doctrines.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:54 PM on May. 22, 2010

• In my openion thats  up for you to decided..my dd is 18 month and i have chosen to raise her to know god and all that Jesus has done for us. and we say our grace before each meal plus when she  gets a bit older i am going to teach her to pray before she goes to bed at night. 

But Like you said it is completly up to the parent to decide weather she wants to teach her child to know know god of if she wants the child to find out on her own!

Anonymous

• I'm all for kids learning this stuff but the parents need to have the right attitude about it. If you're teaching your kids that your way is the only way and that nonbelievers are dangerous or going to hell or what not then you're doing your kids a great disservice. I know a guy who was raised that way including being home schooled so he wouldn't be exposed to secular influences. He's thirty now and he can still barely interact with people outside his church.

I teach my son about various religions as they come up. We've haven't talked in much depth about any particular religion yet, he's only four so he's only so interested in the big questions, but he knows a bit about who goes to what church and about appearances/clothing like yarmulkes or hajibs and who celebrates what holiday.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:17 PM on May. 22, 2010

• We don't believe in any religion, we don't follow any one either. We are raising Kiwi the same way right now. People do talk about god and stuff around her and she asks us questions. We just tell her that we don't think it's real, but when she gets older, she can look into it and decide for herself what she wants to believe. I don't think a parent should teach something like that to a child, I think they should wait until the kid is old enough to decide for themselves and is old enough to understand what they are worshiping. And you're right, I don't hear many other people agree with me, most of them think it's their job to teach my kid about jesus and god and everything, and it bugs the piss out of me. It is a personal choice for each parent though, whether they will raise their children to believe as they do or to think for themselves later.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:19 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I agree with the first post... In my home God is a big part of our lives, however what maybe right for my home may not be right for the next home. I am just happy and confident in my own values and choices we are making for our family.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:24 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I agree with you my sons are okay with that.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:32 PM on May. 22, 2010

• WOW Kiwi'smommy19 that's exactly how me & my husband feel. I have never met another person who feel's 100% about all this like we do. Yay we are not alone haha (:
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 1:38 PM on May. 22, 2010

• We teach our kids to learn about whatever religions they want, and to be respectful of what other people believe and generally jsut try to be a good person since that's really waht matters anyway.

As for the comment:
    "but her oldest is a "non-believer" 24 male who wears all black and makeup "

I do not see what that has to do with anything...a lot of people still live with their parents who DON"T wear black clothes and makeup! Also- there are Goths who ARE religious *just so you know ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:03 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I am a non believer. When my kids were little they would ask questions. I answered by saying some people beleive this, and some people believe that, and some people don't believe any of it. They are 11 and 13 now. My family is jewish and my husband's family is catholic. We have talked about both and now that they have asked they know I don't believe. I told them to learn and make up their own mind. My 13 is very into science and he definetly dosen't believe.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 2:20 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I don't believe that I have the right to choose my children's religion any more than I have the right to choose their career or their spouse.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:57 PM on May. 22, 2010