Do you think using a play yard for smaller children is ok?

My dh is upset at this idea. He says it's like a "cage." My son would not be in it all the time. I just need it for when I'm cooking, doing laundry or tending to the other two children we have. My son is into everything. He unplugs the tv (I have disciplined him for it but he keeps going back to it) He can also unlock the dishwasher and run it. I'm very consistent with the discipline but he still isn't getting it. (he's 20 months). My dh is also wanting me to make our daughter's baby food and that's hard to do when I'm chasing after a toddler. Like I said though, he would not be in it for very long. Maybe like 25-30 minutes at the most. I would never just leave him in it all day. My dh never really helps out with kids so he doesn't quite understand what all I go through. I've never used a play yard, so if any one has advice that would helpful. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, in my opinion, I'd tell him he needs trust you on this one because you've tried all other ways and you just can't do it. Maybe try letting him know (in a nice way) how difficult it is during the day when you're trying to get all this stuff done and stay on top of the little ones. I'd tell him if you can't find something to resolve your issue, then you just won't be able to get everything done, even if you want and try to.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:07 PM on May. 22, 2010

• i dont see a problem with it if it's for his own safety and your sanity.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:11 PM on May. 22, 2010

• can you baby proof?I Went to onestepahead.com and walmart.com for gates so my DD cant get in the kitchen.They dont screw into the wall and they swing open.I also have things that cover all the outlets like shelves or a toybox so they cant unplug things when im doing the dishes in the kitchen.Try Amazon for stuff also....

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:19 PM on May. 22, 2010

• What I did for my Son as soon as he could walk is enclose my entire den area with gates. I bought the Summer Infant Secure Surround Play Safe Play Yard . It is FANTASTIC!!! It comes with 6 gate pieces that interlock and the Bonus is that it comes with a walk thru door. I purchased 3 of them and entirely covered the perimeter of my den. I covered the fireplace, couch, entry to the living room and entry to kitchen and that is where I used the gate door. It locks and unlocks easily so you don't have to climb over. He had the whole run of the den with his toys and it was safe and I was able to get some things done. He never felt confined. I still use it in front of the fireplace and across the living room door today and he's 3 1/2. Worth every penny! He would NOT think of staying in the pack & play for more than 5 minutes when he was just walking.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:19 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Do you have a high chair? If so, strap him in to the high chair. Or tell your DH you will not be able to do certain things tell he comes home to watch the kids if you do not get the play yard.

Answer by louise2 at 1:22 PM on May. 22, 2010

• A 20 mo is too old for a play yard. I have a grandson that age. He would figure out how to get out or be VERY upset. I agree it's a cage. You had kids that close together in age, you have to figure out how to deal.

To make baby food take a banana, peel, mash with fork, put in front of baby, let baby feed herself. Not hard. I never fed my 3 sons or my grandbaby any baby cereal or baby food.

I don't know what you mean by "discipline" for the 20 mo. If he can unplug the tv you go out and buy plug covers and he can't unplug it. Toddlers mess with dishwashers. You don't "discipline" them you distract them. Put cabinet locks on most cabinets and have one he can get into with pans, spoons, measuring cups, ect.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:31 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Oh good grief YES USE IT. Those things have made motherhood a lot better. My grandmother use to tell me about how her mother would put a chair leg or table leg on the baby's "dress" or gown to keep it in one spot. LOL.

So this is a much better alternative. :)

Tell dh to stay a day or two by himself and do all the household chores with the baby. Good luck to him on that one!

Oh and also, they make covers for outlets that are being used so that babies cant unplug things. They are cheap and they work too...I had to use those with my son.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:33 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Your husband sounds like a real dick-hole. Who is he to question your parenting choices and TELL you to make homemade baby food when he's not in the trenches with you.
    Anonymous

• It's fine for a 20 month old! I have an 18 month old who still uses his on occasion, if I'm cleaning the bathroom or something else he can't get into. It's a safe place for him to be and there are toys that I keep just in there, so he actually likes to get in to play with those because they are different.

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I use a play yard. I used one with all my kids, it is how I deal. But I used it from the time that they were very young. My 9 month old will sit in one for 20 minutes and play while I switch the laundry. Starting to use one at 20 months might be tricky. He might, well, most likely, will just scream the whole time because he will feel like it is a cage since he is not used to it. I would suggest putting him a high chair. Give him some pieces of masking tape, stickers, and a paper to keep him occupied, or perhaps even play dough and crayons if he won't eat them. I would also tell your dh to get over it. If he isn't really helping with the kids then he doesn't have a say. If our youngest gets fussy in the play yard or in her swing while I am finishing up something my dh will say she wants out and I tell him, Well, then take care of it. I'll be done in a few. I can't do everything. He has gotten a lot better with it.
    Anonymous