Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe?

anyone been there? walked on your knees? I want to go there but a walk on my knees sounds a little extreme

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You don't HAVE to walk on your knees if you go there. It's not a requirement or anything. It's just a common act of devotion in the area.
    Anonymous

• If it's something you want to do go for it. It would be an interesting experience. I would just like to go and see the basilica and the surrounding area, I have no desire to do it on my knees though, it just sounds painful.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:12 PM on May. 22, 2010

• are knee pads allowed ;)

I am not going to walk on my knees, but I am not sure how good I will feel passing up people walking on their knees as I hoof it
    Anonymous

• My dad went to a Basilica in Italy when he was very young and he remembers people crawling on their knees for miles up a rocky mountain ( he walked with my grandmother) he was very young but he remembers seeing a lot of blood. Also where he was they had to climb a large mountain with only a small path with a very steep ledge, he said every year there were always a few people who fell from the edge and died. Not the religious pilgrimage I'm looking for, but I would love to visit the church.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:23 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Been there, its beautiful.

Didnt do the knee walk though. They had a moving escalator like thing in front of it, when I went anyway, so you werent in front or bugging anyone to see her.

When I went the pews were full and a few were on knees walking to it but not many at that time.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:58 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I haven't been there, but from the photos I have seen it's a beautiful place. And I love the story of the "Lady of Guadalupe" But I'm not really the knee walking type either. I would say basic respect is enough, you don't need to do the knees unless you feel compelled...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:40 PM on May. 22, 2010