draw muhammad day

I didn't particpate but I heard a lot of people call this disrespectful. If you dont believe muhammad is a phrophet or you don't see a problem with drawing him is it really disrespect?

Is drawing a picture of Muhammad really disrespectful of the person doesn't have the same beliefs as those who do not think he should be drawn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• A few years ago there was a big chocolate crucifix I felt was wrong, but i stepped back and thought it wasn't right to make someone think as I do. I remember a last supper with sex toys on the table I thought was in bad taste but again I have to remember to let others live as they feel. I have seen sex toys with the face of a man recognized as Jesus, again their choice.
    Anonymous

• The Draw Muhammad Day started as a protest to the murder of a filmmaker whose movie painted Muhammad in a very bad light. Islamic extremists murdered and mutilated him on the street for it. And then there were the death threats issued to Trey Parker and Matt Stone (creators of South Park) because they depicted Muhammad. So this was all done as a protest to Islamic extremists who use death threats to cower anyone who disrespects their beliefs. Although I understand the reasons behind it, I didn't participate.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:24 PM on May. 22, 2010

• As long as they're not taking these drawings and mailing them to Muslims, or posting them on Muslims' online pages - in an attempt to rub it in or whatever - I don't see a problem with it. From what I understand, the point of not having a picture of Muhammad (or anyone else, really), isn't because he is deified or worshiped, but becaues of the idolatry issue. A picture constitutes an idol. So its not saying that there can never be a picture anywhere of him, just that Muslims aren't supposed to have pictures of him (some even believe that a picture of ANYONE isn't allowed, yet some will keep photo albums of family). So if someone doesn't believe the same, I don't see how it would be a problem, since the issue of idolatry wouldn't be present...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:29 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Now, yes, there are Muslims who take this to the extreme, and get offended whenever someone does depict Mohammad, but not all Muslims would go out and threaten or kill someone for it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:31 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Being Muslim myself, I think that if Muslims around the world STOPPED making it a big deal, it would stop all together...Extreme Muslims and some general Muslims are making a big deal out of it, and that just makes dummies that ARE doing this stuff want to do it more, kind of like adding fuel to the fire...they do it cause Muslims dont like it and its insulting to them, and for a group of people that dont like Muslims that is the best thing to see and know that some Muslims are getting mad. Come on people use some sense sometimes...
    Anonymous

• It is disrespectful because people wouldn't be drawing him if it didn't matter to others. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:17 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I think that Anon :01 brings up an important aspect of this:
    "... I think that if Muslims around the world STOPPED making it a big deal, it would stop all together...Extreme Muslims and some general Muslims are making a big deal out of it, and that just makes dummies that ARE doing this stuff want to do it more, kind of like adding fuel to the fire...they do it cause Muslims dont like it and its insulting to them, and for a group of people that dont like Muslims that is the best thing to see and know that some Muslims are getting mad..."

It is not so much an attempt to "make Muslims mad", but it IS a rejection of Muslim attempts to CONTROL OTHERS using brutality and threats to frighten individuals the world over into obeying these Muslims' dictates.
    It is very arrogant to insist that everyone else obey Muslims' values ... and this unconscionable arrogance will inevitably spawn rebellion.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:10 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I didn't participate in drawing, or posting any pictures of Mohammad, but I did take place in several discussions. I completely support why they were doing it, but I was disgusted with the level to which they stooped. That was uncalled for.
    Anonymous