Would you leave a 7/8 year old in charge of a garage sale?

I was at a garage sale today and while I was there the mom left to "get something to eat" and left the daughter in charge. She wasn't very old, maybe 7 or 8.
It was in a very small town, maybe 700 people, and the McD's she was going to was only two minutes away, plus the girl had a cell phone.
But with strangers knowingly coming to your home, would you leave?

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 1:18 PM on May. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I WOULD NOT leave the house no. I would make something to eat in my house and leave her outside. But never would i ever leave her outside alone with random ppl coming over for any reason
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 1:20 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Nope! I would not. I have seen kids tending a yard sale before, but their parents were always near, like sitting right inside the door. But to leave her alone, I wouldn't do that.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:21 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My 8 year old son plans on running his own yard sale this year- it will be his things and he will be in charge, but I will be there either outside with him or right inside if he needs me.

As for leaving him alone- NEVER. First of all he just isn't responsible enough. And second all of the strangers coming to the house, you never know what could happen. There have been a few times when I have run a garage sale by myself and I have been freaked out by some of the weirdos who stop by.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:35 PM on May. 22, 2010

• heck NO! We are having one next weekend and my kids are going to have a lemonade stand but of course we will be right there!
    Anonymous

• No. That was just dangerous.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:45 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I do live in a city, so maybe its because of that but I could never leave my kid that young. Anything could happen.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:51 PM on May. 22, 2010

• No. Never. Can't imagine ANYONE doing that!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 2:47 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Are you sure there wasn't a grandparent or neighbor there as well that you weren't aware of? I can't imagine anyone being THAT flipant with their child's safety.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:09 PM on May. 22, 2010

• How do you know she was alone?
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 4:16 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I was the only one at the garage sale and the mom said "You'll be okay by yourself, you have your phone and you know what to do. I'll be back in a minute." I was looking at clothes right next to them.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 6:07 PM on May. 22, 2010