Does caffeine stimulate contractions?

I know, I know... I've committed the deadly sin of drinking of a cup or two of coffee while pregnant...but the doctor said moderation was fine so I'm going with him. Anywho, I'm about 39 weeks and the past couple of times I had coffee I start having very uncomfortable false labor pains. They progressively get worse and last for hours...but never closer together. When I skipped a day of coffee, they weren't as bad and were very random like braxton hicks normally are. Does caffeine cause contractions, or is it just a coincidence? My dr. told me that things like diet and walking etc will only cause labor if you are about to go into labor anyway, so I'm not overly worried...just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it has something to do with it. With my friends first pregnancy, she went into her doctors and the doc told her there was no way she was going to have the baby that day. So she went out and got a moolatte from Dairy Queen (like usual) and ended up having the baby that night.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 2:26 PM on May. 22, 2010

• caffeine can cause dehydration that intern can cause contractions ans caffeine can stimulate your bowels which can do the same. Sounds like you are pretty close though so it still might just be a coincidence :)
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 3:19 PM on May. 22, 2010

• ~OP~ I try to drink water at the same time as the coffee to prevent dehydration, but it is hard to drink enough. Other than coffee, I don't drink anything but water and occasionally juice.
    Anonymous

• i'm going to go with coincidence
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:04 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Dehydrydration causes contractions. Coffee has caffine in it which dehydrates you. Just make sure you drink plenty of water and you'll be just fine.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 10:43 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Like others have said, it is not the caffein itself. caffeine can lead to dehydration and my ob did tell me dehydration can cause contractions. water water water. And you can still enjoy your cup or two of coffee! :)
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:29 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I drank 3 cans of cokes a day with my daughter for mood stabilization.I couldn't take anti depressants approved for preg.My dr said caffiene was safer for both of us anyway.I had braxton hicks but dr didn't say it was caffiene just ormal.There were a few days I had 4 cokes and was ok
    Oimomma

Answer by Oimomma at 9:07 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Since you are 39 weeks I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably coincidence. :o) Even if it isn't like your doctor said your diet isn't going to cause labor unless your body is ready anyway.

I do know since this is pregnancy #4 for me and my pregnancies have gone preemie birth, m/c, m/c, and I'm currently 13w2d with this pregnancy (this pregnancy has included two incidents of bleeding that warranted ultrasounds) that my doctor has said absolutely no caffeine. I haven't had a caffeinated soda or glass of coffee since sometime in February. So I think that means there must be some kind of link there, but it's probably pretty small and my doctor is just being extra careful with me.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:47 PM on May. 24, 2010