What do you do when you dont like your child?

I know it sounds horrible, but we just clash like hell. He is 5 years old and driving me out of my mind. I LOVED him as a baby, but once he turned 3 stuff started gettign hard with him... He is a pretty good kid actually, buI just have a really hard time with him not listening to me, or doing what he wants instead of what I am asking him. I feel like we have pretty consistent disipline, and we are fairly strict... It just these littel things, like if I cut his sandwich up in 4's, he gets pissed! Its stupid stuff like this.... He tells me all day that he wishes he didnt have to listen to us, and that he would rather live his his granparents.. but he wont shut up about it and says so til he cries.. I dont think we are that mean.. we just want out kid to listen and obey. Is that so bad....? It seems like the more we enforce things, the angrier he gets, but I will not allow him to just do what he wants. What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on May. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Like right now, he is having a conversation with me about how bored he is with all his toys and he watns big boy toys , and how he hates it when he doesnt get toys he wants. He sounds like a spoile brat!! We did nto raise him like one.. He has about 1/3 of the amounbt of toys mot kids have.. we dont have a lot of money so we dont go buy hima a ton of stuff.. he doesnt get much for Xmas or birthdays either... but he acts like we go buy him somehing every day... like he expects it! I ell him les give all hsi toys o oher litle kids aound the neighborhood and hen we wil save up and get him some a couple big boy toys, and he freaks ou cuz all of a suden he loves his toys.... wtf? driving me crazy!
    Anonymous

• it sound like he just want attention one of these day's you should just take him to the park show him he can have fun with out big boy toys and about the sandwich thing he just son's like every other little boy at his age just give it time you will be ok good luck.
    Anonymous

• What did you expect a little kid to do? sounds like you had unrealistic expectations of what a kid would be like.

He is testing you on some of that stuff...wanting the toys.

He also sounds like he is seeking attention.

Kids also pick up on non verbal ques and he probably feels the dislike towards him.

If I were you I would seek parenting classes and therapy.

As a parent we all have bad days or times and get irritated by our kids, but yours seems worse than normal. Sorry, I didnt mean any of this to be ugly. Its what I feel is wrong.
    Anonymous

• No, you are probably right.. I feel like I am repeating the ugly behavior my parents did when I was a kid..

But is it really unrealistic for a child to obey their parents? He is SOOOO smart that it is hard to realize he cant do something as simple as do what he is told or remember simple things like keeping his feet out of his mouth. WHy must it be a daily battle for him to brush his teeth, even though we have been doing it every damn day since he first had teeth!?
    Anonymous

• Hes just a kid and sounds like a typical child.
    I agree with pp you need to give him more attention, take a walk, go to the park, play some games, play with his toys with him. Children love it when mom or dad plays with them.
    Him not listening is just what kids do.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 4:04 PM on May. 22, 2010

• No its not unrealistic to expect them to obey....I expect my child to obey me. But I also know that they will test me, which frustrates me and takes patience to try to correct the behavior from my kid. Know what I mean.

Basically kids do stupid things. Its aggravating its down right annoying and irritating on most days....but thats kids. Just how they are programmed.lol Even the "best" behaved child has his moments. :)
    Anonymous

• He sounds like my twins. He is searching for time with you. I know it sounds crazy, but planned a day just for the two of you, doing things that do not require a lot of money (a picnic for you two, a walk, go to a museum, or to the zoo or petting zoo, play his favorite sport, or make a craft together as a keep sake of this special day). Sometimes kids do crazy things (like whinning or fighting with siblings) to get our attention, heck if he does not get attention for being good he will get attention for being bad.
    Anonymous

• So, don't cut his sandwich in 4th's, make an effort to buy him toys that are more age appropriate, get off the computer & take him to the park or for a walk, do things with him that allow for bonding. He's bored, he's wanting attention, he senses that you are less than please with him, he's intelligent which often leads to boredom. Stimulate his mind and imagination.
    Anonymous

• not all kids are little angel. Kids can be very demanding and rasing them is hard. KIds are also very intuative and he might picking up on your dislike and making things harder on you because he know what to do to get under your skin.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 5:25 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My only guess is that he picks up on this resentment you have towards him. Even in your post, you refer to him without tender feelings, but as a nuisance. I think you probably need to change your attitude first if you want him to change his attitude.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 5:26 PM on May. 22, 2010